Calling all mycologists
I was strolling through this bit of woods on the way back to my car yesterday afternoon. Lots of connifers with thick duff at their roots. And it occurred to me that the recent rainy spell may have roused a few fungi.
They start out about the size of a golfball. I'm pretty sure these are poisonous, because there's a botanist on campus who has written books on collecting and cooking edible wild mushrooms, and he doesn't leave any survivors. In other words, if they can be eaten, John already has them.
See my pretty sock? Gives a good sense of proportion, doesn't it? Much more fun than just putting a quarter down.
Anyone want to take a stab at identification?