Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, November 04, 2010

Calling all mycologists


I was strolling through this bit of woods on the way back to my car yesterday afternoon. Lots of connifers with thick duff at their roots. And it occurred to me that the recent rainy spell may have roused a few fungi.

Yup, back in the shadows under a cedar I spotted these fruiting bodies.



The big ones, like these, are the size of a big saucer.


They start out about the size of a golfball. I'm pretty sure these are poisonous, because there's a botanist on campus who has written books on collecting and cooking edible wild mushrooms, and he doesn't leave any survivors. In other words, if they can be eaten, John already has them.





This little guy with a smooth cap is probably a different species.




And out on the lawn are these little white button mushrooms ( on stems. Definitely not puffballs.)
See my pretty sock? Gives a good sense of proportion, doesn't it? Much more fun than just putting a quarter down.
Anyone want to take a stab at identification?





5 Comments:

  • At 9:10 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Ain't got a clue!

     
  • At 9:29 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    No mushroom-pinions but the sock is lovely!!!

     
  • At 6:10 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I believe it's a foot in a strawberry lemonade sock.

     
  • At 5:51 PM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    Are the mushrooms in photo 2 more developed examples of the one is photo 4? I believe they are all amanita fulva. Less than wholesome is the general opinion. 3 and 5 are some sort of boletus - (tubes not gills, right?). Probably edible at the right stage - thsoe are overgrown - some are choice and some are not so good.
    And by the toe...if the veil tears neatly around the edge of the cap as it opens, and the gills are pale pale, it is probably an agaricus campetris, ie a meadow mushroom, the wild version of the grocery store standard type. If the veil breaks randomly leaving bits on the cap, as in 2 and 4, and the gills are white, it is probably an amanita... I'm blanking on the second part of the name - aka a death cap.(Amanita muscaria are the shiny red guys with white warty spots. We see them in Nahcotta sometimes.)
    In general amanitas are beautiful but bad news.
    Armchair mycology... no chanterelles? Bet your resident fungophile got those first thing.

     
  • At 11:15 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Uhm, that, my dear, would be a nice warm sock... worn by a woman with an eye for details, and a sunny disposition, who sees beauty even in mushrooms.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home