Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, October 25, 2010

The new litterbox

Nine hundred and ninety nine husbands out of a thousand would say, "Geeze, would you clean the damn litterbox more often? It's startin' to stink!" My Darling Husband (DH) knows what a collossal bore it is to clean those festering nests of cat poo, is no more eager to do it than I am, and is ever on the lookout for a better way that will get us BOTH out of the feces disposal business. And so we have - (cue the fat flying babies bearing banners and winged hearts and accompanied by harp music and angelic voices singing, "Ahhhhhhhhh!")
The Cat Genie.
This marvelous device will scoop the poop and dump it into a tank which flushes down one of those tubes on the left. Then it will wash and sanitize the box and the biodegradable plastic litter, and, with jets of hot air, dry the whole shootin' match ready for the next cat to dump. It does everything but wipe their fuzzy butts! Now if only we could get them to use it. The manufacturer suggest that we locate the box in the same place as their usual boxes, and just allow the regular boxes to get so nasty that the new set-up seems preferable.
Most of the litter trays are in the laundry room. The Cat Genie needs access to cold water and a drain, so DH pulled the shelves out of the cupboard between the washer and dryer, and installed the facility. And he used a one dollar throw rug from a garage sale to carpet their pissoir. And he even mounted a light in there for them. And of course, they treat it with profound suspicion and distrust, and the house reeks from the overflowing boxes. Tomorrow, I will clean and empty all but two of the boxes, and mix the new litter, half and half ,with the old to see if that will give them the idea. Wish us luck. We don't know how successful the Cat Genie is yet, because the crap-weasles won't have a thing to do with it. But hope springs eternal.

10 Comments:

  • At 8:50 AM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Good luck!

     
  • At 11:31 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Try taking away their old boxes one by one and not replacing them. Also, have you actually put them in it?

    Cats are such contrary beasts, but I love them anyway.

     
  • At 12:26 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I don't mind changing the kitty litter - not that it's my fave task but no one else does it. I'm a massive gadget fan but this seems like more work than I'm willing to invest.
    Good luck to you!!

     
  • At 2:58 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    You might try locking one cat (or 2 if they get along) in the room with the machine and leave them for at least 2 hours. Their curiousity will get the better of them and they will succomb.

     
  • At 6:49 PM , Anonymous pat lichen said...

    Oooh, I have been curious about the Cat Genie (more curious than your cats, obviously) and will eagerly await future reports!

     
  • At 8:34 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    It would be cool to place a hidden camera and videotape them!!!!
    LOL

     
  • At 10:11 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    I hope this works! Do you think that maybe they're holding out on you just for fun?

     
  • At 8:57 AM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    I've been thinking about getting one of those! Right now I have the Litter Robot, and it works pretty well but I guess I'm getting lazier and lazier.

     
  • At 1:21 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    *snicker* But it's pretty nifty, right? It's got tubes and blowdriers and bells and whistles... niftiness in its entirety, right? ah... crapweasels. Terminally immune to niftiness...

     
  • At 10:43 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    It took two of my cats several weeks to try the automated pan when we had one. After that they liked it. It is worth a try :-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home