Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

the elegant Oosterdam



For those folks who know the north Pacific coast, think of it: Late September + Astoria+ sunbathing. Just does not compute, but truely, this was one of those halcyon days when the fog burns off and the sun shines down and the temperatures just keep rising.




DH and I. however, did not set foot off the ship. We did a bit of wandering and exploring. At every turn there seemed to be some new artefact or object de arte.


How about a four foot tall urn in an alcove?











A little bench near the elevators.










And how about those elevator doors? They're like this on every floor.













There is a lot of blue and white tilework in keeping with the Holland theme. This is in the thermal suite. I want to move in to the thermal suite. There is a eucalyptus steam room and a mandarin orange steam room and a sauna and access to a warm mineral pool. And of the 1500 guests on board, only 100 of us have passes to the thermal suite. It was woth the price of the pass. DH and I spent most of the day in here.







Huge windows lettinng in lots and lots of light, a fountain of mineral water for sipping, and . . .


Do you think a glass-tile mosaic loune would be uncomfortable? What if it were heated? I was just like a lizard on a hot rock, basking in unthinking bliss. Of course, I got a good start on it all. At 8 AM I had a lime and ginger exfoliating massage. The therapist gave me a par of disposable paper panties and asked me to lie down on my face on the foil blanket. Then she drizzled me with a thin, gritty paste that smelled good enough to eat (lime and ginger!) and gently scrubbed it in from toes to collarbone, front and back. Next she folded up the sides of the foil blanket, covered me with a couple of towels, and left me to marinate for a few minutes. Then she gave me a luxurious body wash and had me shower off all the scrubby stuff. Finally, she spent half an hour massaging my muscles till I was smooth as buttered silk; not a knot to be found in body, mind or soul. I think it was at least two hours before my feet touched the ground. I just sort of glided around, carried on a pink satin pillow by tiny cherubs.
DH had a foot massage and declared it to be, "Alright." He's just not into the self-indulgence the way I am.
We had lunch at the day-long buffet.Among othr attractions, there was a taco bar. You could have soft or crispy shell, beef, chicken or pork, lettuce, black beans, chili, re-fried beans, tomatoes, onions, salsa in mild, medium or hot, jalapeno peppers, tomatillos, cilantro, and sauerkraut. Do you put sauerkraut on your taco? I have never heard of it. Sort of a Mexican/Dutch treat I guess. Refried beans and sauerkraut? I dunno.
We did dinner in the dining room. And since we decided that most folks aer interpreting "Smart Casual" as, "Wear just the small diamonds," we dressed up a bit. I wore the "Sporty" string of my pearls. I have finally split them into a sporty necklace, and a dressy necklace.


The light isn't right here to show up the colors well, but it gives yo an idea of the basic layout. The pendants include two fire opals and the first pearl DH ever bought me.









The colors show up a bit better here. I'll try to get daylight photos of them later today.
Todday and tomorrow are days at sea. 'm going to a cake decorating demo at 9, and a Dutch Royal Tea at 3. And I lost my hairbrush, so I'll have to pop in to the ship's stores and look around a bit. I HAVE to!





7 Comments:

  • At 7:48 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Lime, ginger & a shot of excellent rye!! LOL Mmmmm ... tacos!!

    Sounds like you're having a blissful time - love the pics!

     
  • At 12:44 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    Elegant, indeed! Thanks for sharing.

    I'll try not to be jealous, but wow. There's nothing like a good massage.

     
  • At 5:57 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Oh my... you know, I always imagine 'The Love Boat', complete with cheezy music, but, dayum, baby, that's one swank ride! I bet even the tiny cherubs carrying your pillow get massages! Awesome pictures--and your sporty string of pears is really stunning!

     
  • At 9:48 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    You're making me want to go on a cruise... which never in my whole life have I ever wanted before.

    (Verification string: unsis. I like my sister, and I have no intention of unsising her.)

     
  • At 8:58 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Sounds like DH might have been able to dine on you after the sumptuous scrub!! Wink wink!!

     
  • At 8:59 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Almost forgot!! Love the pearls!!

     
  • At 11:29 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    The vision of floating around on pink pillows made me smile. That is the ultimate in relaxation :-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home