Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, September 27, 2010

Vancouver is a beautiful city

We made it down to the breakfast buffet with a whole half hour to spare (we almost never sleep so late) and I had a chance to appreciate how very beautiful the Pan Pacific Hotel is. DH, the clever lad, got us a wonderful discount on the rooms or we could never afford to stay here. Celebrities and royalty stay at the Pan Pacific. I don't think I saw any, but who knows?

Breakfast was fit for royalty. I started out being so good and getting a plate of fresh fruit, and a bowl of muesli with yogurt. But THEN, the eggs Bennedict, the sausages, the flakey croissants all started beckoning, and since Sunday IS a feast day, after all, I succumbed. And the tea - it was as if my tongue was covered with tea receptors, and as soon as the first sip entered my mouth, those tea receptors popped open and /sucked/ the tea directly into my system. I don't remember actually swallowing at all.

Then we strolled around the hotel for a few minutes, appreciating the features and letting the breakfast digest. Here is a fountain representing the Pacific Rim. The water emerges from a fountain outside and flows through vvarious channels, under bridges and at last swirls down into the pool at the bottom here. Little kids go mad with joy scampering over those bridges and pattering around the channels.


the Pan Pacific is built above a section of the Vancouver Convention center. An adjacent section (with a grass roo - how green can you be?) is accessed via a spacious tunnel. do you feel that you are swimming downstream?



Vancouver is full of art and beauty. this lovely lady watches over the stairs to an elegant boutique.





Here is a memorial to local boys lost during WorldWar I . In the US, they usually put up a cannon or something martial. I really like the loving angel.



And for Alwen, PK, and any others interested in quirky steam machines, here, in "Gastown" is a steam clock. The pipes on top play chimes at the quarters of the hour.





Close up of the works.







A nearby fountain


And this statue is in the window of a shoe store called, "You are Weird."





Ah, the beloved spouse is stirring now. tim to rise and shine. Later, I'll show you pictures of all the mounties I saw. Today, we are headed for Chinatown.

8 Comments:

  • At 7:58 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Lovely!

    So, is the store called You are Weird or the statue? Or both?

     
  • At 9:02 AM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    That Pacific Rim fountain looks totally cool.

     
  • At 10:49 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Nice pics - most everyone who's been has wonderful things to say about Vancouver. Makes me want to go one day.

     
  • At 1:58 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Magnificent photos! Adding Vancouver to my "places I must see" list.

     
  • At 5:12 PM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I love that fountain!!

     
  • At 5:29 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    This is fun! Traveling through your eyes!!

     
  • At 4:16 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    Oh, that's fascinating! A steam clock. Wow.

     
  • At 6:03 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    The Pacific Rim fountain is SO cool--and I love the steam clock! Wow-- I want to go go Vancouver!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home