Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

embarkation
























On embarkation morning, a sliver of sunshine wedged itself between the clouds to kiss me good morning. Is this a good omen for the day or what?

































We had breakfast - so civilized. DH had a cup of hot chocolate.










































Our ship was docked right alongside the hotel - so handy!








The Oosterdam is something like 350 feet long. It's a good hike from one end to the other.








We did a little shopping. Had to get some tea at Murchies' - Empress Blend has be re-named Afternooon Blend. I guess the Empress is no longer politically correct.




We stopped at a shop in the hotel and admired the knitwear.








Then we packed our bags, checked out of the hotel, and took the elevator down to the cruise ship dock. And before you knew it, we were on board. The rest of the day passed in a bit of a blur. We had margaritas, and tequilla makes my brain shut off.












We spent some time in the room, watching people passing on the dockside. I had nonchalantly tossed one foot over the rail and was lounging casually with my cocktail, and this couple came along, waved, and then he mimicked me. I laughed so hard my water broke and I wasn't even pregnant.
Today, we are docked in Astoria. I'm going tospend the time wandering around the ship and taking photos. And I had a lime and ginger exfoliating massage this morning. I feel like polished silk!!! I may have a nice nap this afternoon. And I'll get a shot of my more upscale attire tonight. Don't want to look like a total rube amidst the retired diplomats and heads of industry here.
DH and I are youngsters on this cruise. At 55 and 60, we are YOUNGSTERS!








I'm going to have to upgrade my look for dinners. Smart Casual evidently means well co-ordinated ensembles with a touch of bling. Holland America is a big change from the Carnival cruises we are accustomed to. Carnival is like Las Vegas, all Neon and chrome. Holland America is more like Monte Carlo - old gold and understated opulence. An oversize silk sweater and a pair of capris is not Smart Casual.




5 Comments:

  • At 12:57 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    I wish I could combine somber and splendid as well as that sky.

     
  • At 8:12 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    What?! No shot of you dangling your leg???
    Love the knits!

     
  • At 9:11 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Can't wait to see what comes next!

     
  • At 6:20 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    The sunrise is breath taking.

     
  • At 6:01 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    LOL-- looks like you made an impression! It sounds SO lovely... I can't imagine being that pampered--how wonderful!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home