Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, September 19, 2010

And then there was the rose garden

The Portland Rose Garden is just a gentle stroll down the hill from the Japanese Garden. Just go past the tennis courts and tah-dah! My camera won't take a big enough picture. Take this photo and repeat it four times and You'll have an idea of how big the rose gardens are. There are acres and acres of roses, still blooming inspite of the lateness of the season.


There are planters full of miniature roses and even micro minis like this one.





















I was dissappointed in how few of the roses were scented, but this one was a treat. It smells like a lemon!




Roses in big blowsy clusters at the end of their season give full vent to the concept of, "overblown." Wouldn't these go geat on a droopy brimmed sun hat?











There were bi-color roses that progressesd from hue to hue within each petal. Some roses have buds that are shaped like an urn, round at the bottom, tapered toward the top, the just the tips of the petals flaring in a coy little tease. This one just opens right up with pink outer petals, and golden yellow center.


Folks, I took 220 photos. I could go on with these for another week! But after a while, even I get bored with photos. And this started out as a knitting blog. I was working on a mitered sweater in hand-dyed silk yarn for my sister-in-law, and I just wasn't feeling the love. The color wasn't exactly her, and the yarn was sort of splitty and sticky, and I left it home when DH and I headed for the grocery store. He noticed and asked. When I explained my frustration with the project he said, "Well do something else then." I do love this man. So I bought some nice pink cotton and am going to make her a shell. Meanwhile, though, I am knitting a yellow and green baby blanket for one of DH's co-workers who is the first man in the history of the world to become a grandfather. I feel the knitty love again! My mojo has returned!

5 Comments:

  • At 9:17 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    LOL-- of COURSE he's the first man in history to become a grandfather-- perish the thought that this will NOT be the most special, perfect, talented, gifted grandbaby in the history of progeny:-)

    Glad you got your mojo back-- funny, how sometimes it really takes just a bit of knitting promiscuity, yanno?

     
  • At 12:44 AM , Blogger Rose L said...

    to see more of the roses, they may visit my site!
    http://poetrose24.blogspot.com/

    I had such a great time...thanks!!

     
  • At 6:28 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    I've thoroughly enjoyed the pictures. Your DH is brilliant. I never knew roses could be so tiny. How is squirrel?

     
  • At 9:53 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    I love that little mini yellow rose. Wow. I remember that the minis in our garden back in the city were mostly unimpressive little things, pretty in the bud and that was about it.

     
  • At 4:19 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    The little yellow rose is da bomb!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home