Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What we've been up to

On Saturday, DH and I took a walk along the river downtown. There's a 2 mile path that crosses two bridges and circles the river, running under the freeway ramps on the east side, and bringing you up to the Saturday Market on the west side. the Saturday Market covers several blocks. The part closest to the river is mostly artisans and food booths. As you move west, into the Skidmore Fountain area, the booths begin to carry imported goods. Indian beaded and mirrored bags, Tibetan clothing, baskets from Ghana, and Chinese herbs. It's fascinating, and will give you a total case of sensory overload in NO time!

















Here's DH beside the Skidmore Fountain - a relic of the 19th century elegance of our young city.











The market is always bustling on Summer Saturdays. It stays open till Christmas, then closes from January through May.














One fellow had come down with a pair of bloodhounds. I had no idea they were so BIG.















Along our walk we had to stop and enjoy the world's smallest park. It's in the guinness Book of World Records.

Click to embiggen the legend.










Yep. It's completely contained on a manhole cover. I remember when it was just a plastic tree and a plastic bush glued to the steel manhole cover. Great fun to show visitors.









And here's the newest member of the family - Miss Squirrel. She has done nothing but eat since she arrived. Her coat has that reddish protein-deficiancy cast to it. And she's soooo tiny!










I'm not sure why we tend to collect black cats. That's Fly closest to the door, Squirrel by the end table, and Pepper with her ears flat. We have had no fights yet, but Pepper wants to make sure that Squirrel knows who is boss cat around here. Ben runs away from Squirrel. Candy regally ignores everyone.







On the knitting front, Janette sent me four sets of Addi circular needles - steel and bamboo points, 150 centimeters and 120 centimeters. Bless your dear, dear heart, Janette! The great circle sweater is going ever so much faster now!



I'm in work limbo and trying to get myself organized to be productive around the house. Got some spinning done yesterday, and loads of laundry. Today I need to walk down to the dollar store and buy some more hangers. Where do they go? If we had enough hangers to hang up all the clothes before we put them on, why can I not find the hangers when the clothes have been washed? Oh well, it's a good excuse for a walk. And I need an excuse. Just getting out and hiking around doesn't do it. I've thought about putting in the earbuds and taking the i-pod, but people keep getting killed because they can't hear the traffic around them. Maybe just one ear? We'll see.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:19 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    Love the walking tour. I had no idea that Portland transformed that part of the city into a summer market. I've only been there in the winter months.

    Squirrel is adorable! Statistically black cats are the most abandoned and least adopted from shelters. Tuxedos come in second in the Portland area for abandonment. I've no idea why, but Furry Friends (the volunteer group I joined) is also full to the gills with both black and tuxes, following the trend. I'd take them all if possible.

     
  • At 1:25 PM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Squirrel is such a pretty little thing and you are such good people to make her healthy and happy once again.

    An manhole cover park... I'm glad to see it has real flowers instead of plastic ones.

     
  • At 7:51 PM , Blogger Janette said...

    Squirrel is so very, very pretty. Welcome to your wonderful new home little kitty!

     
  • At 10:15 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Squirrel is adorable. If she was abandoned for long, she'll gain quite a bit of weight.

     
  • At 5:54 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    One ear works! The world's smallest park cracked me up--and Miss Squirrel looks lovely. Give her a little bit of food and some love, and she'll become the kitty you never knew you needed.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home