Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, July 08, 2010

It got hot


Six months ago, this is what we were dealing with. Remember? It was cold and dark and nasty and we were cold and bitching and nasty and it seemed like summer would never happen ever again.
Well, it's here now. Think frosty days and wind whipping ice crystals into your frozen skin. Hold that thought firmly in mind as you head out to the trip home. Then take a minute to feel the heat and the light and humidity. Take a full sensual picture to pull out when it's cold and dark and nasty again. Because it will be.
Knitting will be here on Saturday. I invited 20 plus ladies as usual. I have heard from 9 so far. four yes and five no. So we are going to have a strawberry and angelfood orgy with iced tea (and hot tea) and Gingeroos cookies and chicken salad sandwiches on Dave's Killer Rye Bread. Dave is an ex-con who finally figured out that he is happier when he is doing right than when he's doing wrong. He learned how to bake bread and turns out the most awesome bread in the city. And I may go pick up a Sin-dog too. That's thin pastry rolled around sugar and cinnamon and sunflower seeds looking sort of like a giant hotdog. Yeah, now that I think about it, we gotta have us a sin-dog to go with our strawberry orgy. Photos to follow, of course.
I worked two days this week, and will be taking GED to the jail one morning a week for the rest of the month. It's not a living, but it's a token. I really need an externally imposed schedule or I dawdle away the whole fricking day. It was great to get back into harness, but in the four weeks I've been gone, it's astounding the number of things which have changed. At least I was smart enough to write down all the passwords for the computer, or I would have needed to be completely re=trained.
DH works in a machine shop and they have this awesome robot which should be able to do the tedious, dead-boring work for about four floor monkeys (machinists) freeing them up to do something requiring a bit more intelligence. Unfortunately, this robot is - well - depressed. It's not being used in the way it was intended to be used (because its operators, being men, never need to read instruction manuals.) (DH is NOT one of these operators. Every time we get a new machine, he sits down and reads the entire instruction manual.) But the robot is being abused. It's being rid hard and put up wet and tweeked incontinently. And today, after the company electrician re-wired it, it ripped out those very wires and committed suicide. It will be revived - again. This is not the first time it has unplugged itself, but this is one of the most thourough self-deletes it has managed to date. The floor monkeys are gonna have to work overtime now. DH, thank all the powers that be, is a jig and fixture machinist - not a floor monkey.

7 Comments:

  • At 4:37 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Poor robot. Someone should issue a DNR for him (somehow I think of it as a him).

    I am remembering how cold and wet the snow was as I slog down the street in the 100 degree heat.

    Angelfood cake and strawberries is one of my favorite deserts. Sounds yummy.

     
  • At 4:56 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    p.s. sin-dog sounds fabulous and even if I never get to have one, I might try to reinvent it here.

     
  • At 4:56 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    Roxie- you make me laugh and laugh- thanks for your comments on my blog- I'm thinking I can only complain about one season a year- with a week of no power, ten degree temps, 5 feet of snow and no plumbing, I'm going with winter this year. For now- even on this third day of this east coast heat wave i go out, water the plants, walk the dog and give a wee little 'yippee' (while the dog gives a wee little pee- HA I crack me up!)

     
  • At 7:56 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Poor guy... that robot must have been REALLY depressed! And I do know what you mean-- I get more writing done when I have NO time than I do when I have SOME time. (However, I do not know what a day would be like when I had ENOUGH time... that might be cool...)

     
  • At 8:03 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Your frittering is at least productive. Mine usually involves playing on the computer :-)

    Try to stay cool and enjoy your knitting day on Saturday!

     
  • At 5:32 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Yes, cooler thoughts. Because your warm weather turns hot where I live.

     
  • At 8:52 AM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    This heat really doesn't bother me. I know a lot of people hate it, but it only lasts a few days, unlike our incessant rain. I especially like the warm evenings, when I can sit outside in a tank top at 9:00 and feel comfortable.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home