Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, July 02, 2010

Good news / bad news

Good news: I have been bobbing around 178 - 179lbs for the last six weeks. I was getting rather desperate and even considered going commando under my dress to save a few ounces. But then what do I do the next time I need a loss? Show up in a swimsuit?

I stepped onto the scale saying, "I'm thinking light thoughts. Dandelion fluff. Feathers. Steam." The group leader said, "It works. You lost three pounds." I'm now down to 176. When I break the 175 barrier, I get to buy some of Benita's nice wool for some spinning.

Bad news: We can't find a place to stay in Washington DC that we can afford. We were thinking about going in May. Would another time be cheaper? The best we have found is $250 a night. Holy Crow! Anyone got any suggestions? Could we, perhaps stay somewhere outside of the city proper and commute in? We'd rather not get a car if we can avoid it.

We found a package trip for $3500 for a week, including airfare and lodging only. No food, no museum tickets, no guided tours, nada. For that ammount of money, we could take a two-week cruise in Hawaii. For that ammount of money I could publish the final volume of Sanna (after I have done a major re-write. Thank you Lucia. You are a kick-ass editor!) Surely, surely there must be some way we can afford to come east for a week without staying in a youth hostel. Any ideas, guys? I mean, aside from letting us pitch a tent in your backyard. I want a hot bath at night and I wake up at five, so we really do better with our own hotel room.

6 Comments:

  • At 6:21 AM , Blogger B said...

    I live in DC and Metro everywhere. Is it just the two of you? I actually live next door to a B&B in a pretty neighborhood with better rates than 250 a night.

     
  • At 1:28 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    Wow, that does seem like a lot of money. Amber took a student tour, and while it wouldn't be the kind of trip you'd want to take there are some better deals out there. They had airfare, 6 nights' lodging, food, arranged tours, transportation and non-stop touristy visits for $2,300. total. It was sensory overkill via a bus window, but my point is, there are some packages out there which will allow you to do a lot more for your money.

     
  • At 7:44 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Check Hotwire.com and also this site:
    http://www.booking.com/city/us/Washington.html?aid=306395;label=Washington-iMhIDNjPAIPsEABW*YgsiQS4676132729;ws=&gclid=CLTJkprs0KICFR49gwodElMbxA

    I saw some at the latter for $90 a night.

     
  • At 9:23 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Ideally, you would get a hotel in Maryland or Virginia and commute. It's not a long way. They have an awesome underground transport system in DC called the Metro. If you could find a hotel close to the line, you could take that in to the capitol. I would definitely recommend it for getting around to the various sites. Much cheaper than a taxi.

     
  • At 8:31 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    What Lisa said-- a hotel room outside the city and a commute in. The transport system really should get you there. (But, and I've got to say it... I'd really rather go to Hawaii!) And congrats on those three pounds! Well done, Ms. Dandelion Fluf!

     
  • At 4:25 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    You are entirely welcome! I'll have to update my resume. (2010-present: Roxie says I am a kick-ass editor.)

    If it's any consolation, you weigh considerably less than I do. I was one of those skinny kids who could eat anything and never gain weight, and then I got whammied with a major metabolism change. I have to get on WW or something too, and I've had trouble getting motivated.

    As for hotels, would it be possible for you to do a home exchange? Check out homeexchange.com. Also check out evergreenclub.com. You'd be welcome to stay with us, except for that pesky 10-hour commute. But hey, have you ever wanted to see Boston?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home