Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, March 08, 2010

BRIDGE

McDonalds is just down the street. A good look for the golden arches, doncha think?



We did the bridge climb today. The walk down to the bridge was just lovely.


The oldpart of the city is built right on the primal rocks. PRetty cool.


So we went in to the bridge-climb center and boy are they thourough! They give you a breath-a-lyzer test and have you sign a waiver. Then they give you a cover-all and younput all your clothes in a locker. Also watches, earrings, and bobby pins, other jewelry, and anything you might drop onto the traffic below. Including - sigh - your camera. So I wasn't able to get shots of the ladders we climbed up or the catwalks we strolled along, or the ultra-secure, super-nifty device that connects you to the steel cable, preventing you from getting hurt even if you want to. Or, the big bird nest Kyle spotted amongst the girders on the top.


But they Did take some nice photos of us.





Do we look happy? 80 degrees with a stiff breeze and oh my god that view! It was astounding, breathtaking, and soooo exciting! If I had a voice I would have squealed with glee.

The only place I was even a little uneasy was on the first set of ladders where we climbed up between two lanes of traffic. Passing busses buffeted me with gusts of wind and the ladder trembled under my feet when a big truck went by. I just looked steadfastly at my hands and kept climbing and soon I was above the suckers.

And it was as much fun as flying. It was $200 each, but worth it. Completely safe, thoroughly and competantly guided, and intelligently paced. My calves started aching on the climb up, and quivering on the climb down, but that's just because I'm a puny wimp. And I was a happy wimp for every step of the trip!!

Afterwards, I was dehydrated and ravenous. DH, bless his dear heart, decided we were going to have a nice lunch, so we dined on the Quay, with fabulous scenery. Some of it ran past while we were eating.





I am beat and happy and will write more later. It was grand!!

10 Comments:

  • At 1:37 AM , Blogger Rose Red said...

    The bridge climb really is grand isn't it - glad you enjoyed it, and had a lovely lunch afterwards - you really can't beat those views can you!

     
  • At 6:21 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    We didn't get to climb the bridge when we were in Sydney, so thank you for taking us along on your trek up, up and above. Love the pictures of you and Kyle. Thinking you need more of those moving "scenic" shots. Are you going to Bondi Beach perchance? Love the pictures of the old stone city and the mix of new+old buildings. Hope you're having the time of your life.

     
  • At 8:30 AM , Blogger Paul said...

    A bridge climb??? How awesome is that - it looks like so much fun! I would love to do that, but I'd be doing it alone since David doesn't "do" high places. LOL! Terrific pictures!

     
  • At 9:17 AM , Anonymous Dave Daniels said...

    WOW! That last photo is fantastic! Great view. You look SO happy.

     
  • At 9:26 AM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Sounds so fun! And I can't even remember what 80° feels like. It's a whopping 39 right now here in Portland. I'll put in an order for warm weather next week so you won't get climate shock when you come home. :)

     
  • At 9:58 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Wow! What a view! I take it that no sheep were allowed on the bridge, eh?

     
  • At 1:11 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    WOW!! You are way up there! The buildings in the background look small!!!!

     
  • At 6:25 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    The bridge climb looks fun. I don't think Grilltech would want to do something like that.

     
  • At 8:52 PM , Blogger Denise said...

    So glad you got to do The Bridge, despite your cold. Great to see you both up there! Heights aren't my idea of a fun time, so I'll just live vicariously through your experiences ;)

     
  • At 9:43 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    OKay-- jsyk? I called Mate in from his happy place in front of the television to see that view of Sidney from the bridge. YOu're right, baby--it was GRAND!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home