Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, November 23, 2009

Thankfulness one

Things for which I am thankful:

My dear husband who believes that it is his job to keep me happy. And he's very good at his job!

Our warm, dry, house with the soft warm bed and the INDOOR PLUMBING!

Have you ever spent time in a home without a flush toilet? The privy is Never in the right place. It's about fifty yards away from the house, which in summer is fifty yards too close, and in winter is fifty yards too far. Imagine a bout of dysentery during a sub-zero cold snap. Your cheeks could get frostbite from the seat. People take indoor plumbing much too much for granted. Be thankful for your toilet!

I am thankful to have all my body parts still working. They may not be in factory fresh condition, but they still function adequately.

I am thankful to have warm clothes and shoes.

I am thankful to have a job that I enjoy and co-workers that are a delight.

I am thankful that I work because I want to, not because I have to.

We live in the richest country, in the richest epoch in the history of the world. I am profoundly thankful for all the luxuries that even kings could not have enjoyed in the past. Entertainment at the touch of a button. Instant communication with any part of the world. Antibiotics!! Modern dentistry.

I am thankful for the opportunity to study history and learn how people used to live, so I won't take my bounty for granted. At the beginning of the 20th century, the average life expectancy for an American male was 47 years. How's that for a reality check?

More meditations on things to be thankful for tomorrow.

8 Comments:

  • At 9:19 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I remember reading something somewhere where a young girl asked her grandmother what invention she was most thankful for. The young girl was sure it would be the refrigerator or washer. The grandmother said "running water". She said it was the best thing that had come along. ever.

     
  • At 5:30 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Roxie, I agree with every point of your thankful post (except I'm thankful for MY husband).

    Even today, people in many countries do not have the luxury of clean water and toilets. I have lived for YEARS with no indoor plumbing or hot water. I never take either of those items for granted. When my older dd was five, her grandmother asked her how far the outhouse was from the house. She replied, "About ten miles!" You may quote me.

     
  • At 7:16 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    I praise the wonders of indoor plumbing every night when I take my evening bath. It's one of the luxuries I look forward to all day long. And though I'm not a terribly religious person I also thank God that my family is home safe and that we all ate.

     
  • At 7:17 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    p.s. my mom spent the early part of her childhood with an outhouse in central Montana. Winters were extremely uncomfortable and it wasn't all that long ago.

     
  • At 7:44 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    We do take much for granted and running water and basic sanitation are a couple of biggies.

     
  • At 7:08 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Yes, indoor plumbing and modern medicine. Those are the two things I'm really most greatful for.

    And Grilltech.

     
  • At 10:11 AM , Anonymous tlbwest said...

    On the farm where I grew up, we didn't have inside running water till I was about four. Ironically, I believe the dairy barn did, because that was necessary to have a permit to sell milk. Thus, baths were often taken in the dairy barn, in the classic galvanized tub. I don't look back on it with any personal horror, because my mother let me keep using a potty at night and when it was cold. As an adult, I could realize what a burden it was for her, and my aunt and grandmother, especially as they had been living with "modern conveniences" for perhaps 15 years when they moved back to the wilds of rural Oregon in the late 1940s.
    But I'm pretty sure it was not as bad as no running water in rural western Nebr. or eastern Wyo., where they came from. Yes, I am very thankful for indoor plumbing.

     
  • At 5:37 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    You are wonderful--I am thankful for my thoughtful friends, who reminds me of how good I really do have it!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home