Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Halloween

So I stepped outside my front door yesterday, and look what got caught in the monkey trap! The neighbors LOVE Halloween!!

Halloween around here is often accompanied by a cold monsoon, so you want a costume that works over a waterproof parka. We get about thirty kids every year, and often, it's the parents that are having the best fun. My best candy-giving costume was a big piece of sheer black fabric shot through with gold thread. I just draped it over my head and, for the older kids, practiced my evil genius laugh. "Mwahahahahaha! Take some candy. Just take some." For little kids, I flipped it up so they could see my face, and smiled like a gentle granny.




DH and I will be going out this weekend to hunt the wiley pumpkin (they don't run very fast, and they nest in huge flocks, so they're not hard to hunt at all) and I will use my linoleum knives to carve away just the outer skin, so the candle light shines through artistically. Of course, having the house next door to this one leaves just about anything we do looking sorta lame.




There's another place down the street that put out three inflatable, lighted yard thingies last year. And yet another place about a mile away that does such a big deal that people come from all over the city to see it, the police close off the street, and the local high-school dance team goes over there on weekend nights to perform "Thriller"

Halloween is all about the costumes for me. One year I put on a white strapless evening gown with a full tulle skirt and lots of sequins, added a set of white wings, pointy ears and a sparkly wand, and went as a trendy waiter. "Hi, I'm Bruce. The special tonight is roasted larks tongues on polenta, drizzled artfully with a reduction of blackberry juice and grapefruit vodka."

Another year I dressed as a black widow spider in a black leotard with two sets of extra legs sewn under the arms, a red hourglass on the tummy, black fishnet hose and three inch heels, and a little black hat with a veil. I won first prize at the church party.

My favorite costume ever was one I saw from the bus as we drove past. A fellow was standing at a bus stop, reading a paper. As our bus passed, he lowered his paper to reveal his werewolf mask. It was brilliant!

7 Comments:

  • At 9:34 AM , Anonymous Dave Daniels said...

    What excitement! I can only imagine your surprise when you walked out the door.
    Costumes were something I really enjoyed when I worked in the fabric industry.
    Loved the story of the werewolf businessman. :)

     
  • At 12:43 PM , Anonymous LindaG said...

    One year a co-worker and I each dressed in matching colors (I think it was red sweater and black pants, but it's not germane) and each wore our long hair in a single braid. Then -- during breaks and lunch only, 'cuz we worked in different rooms -- we tied our braids together and went as conjoined twins joined at the hair.

     
  • At 6:01 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    Wow!

    The spooky part around here is that it's dark with hardly any streetlighting anywhere. That, and the live owls and bats!

     
  • At 6:29 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    Way back when I worked in a Bank, everyone in my department (commercial development loans) sweat pants and tops, did face makeup as different animals (squirrel, bunny, dog, cat, etc.) and painted tire tracks diagonaly up one leg and across to the opposite shoulder. We were "Roadkill Stew". That was the year the tellers all wore black and white prisoner outfits. ;)

     
  • At 8:07 PM , Blogger Em said...

    I love costumes, but I can never think of a good one for myself, I'm too self-conscious. My friend Amy-girl has a great one, though. She glued various bits and bobs to a white shirt, put on a clown nose, and carried around a clothes pin and was the game Operation. It was a clever, comfortable costume.

     
  • At 11:26 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Thanks for the Halloween excitment--I need to remember to get all decked out for my kids-- get so appy!

     
  • At 8:15 AM , Anonymous tlbwest said...

    I thought PW's Andy Warhol costume was great - 'course all it took was the fake bullet hole in the black turtleneck, and some gel to spike out the white hair ... who knew before how close the resemblance was?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home