Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, October 01, 2009

And then he grabbed the laser - part 2

Blogtoberfest
First I want to dance with glee! You folks are wonderful and I am SO grateful. I now have directions for making a link. Wheee! It's the first day of Blogtober!

Yesterday, I went back to the dentist to have last week's work checked, and to get two more erroding fillings replaced. As he was planning his attack, he told the assistant, "Prepare two syringes." I remarked, "Syringe is such an unfriendly word. Couldn't you call it something cuddlier? Like, 'fuzzy bunny,' or 'baby kitty,' or something." The assistant giggled. The dentist thought for a minute and said, "That's not a bad idea. I'll bring it up at the next staff meeting. New assistants will have trouble learning the codes though. 'He wants fuzzy bunnies and it isn't even Easter!'"

I showed him the scarf I knitted while under his hands, pointing out a couple of places where I made mistakes. "Here's where you turned on the laser, and here's where we got that third shot of litocaine, and here's . . ." Actually, I'm quite pleased with the mistakes, because they're not going to bother me, but I certainly give them to someone else, so here's a scarf I know I'll keep. And it looks SO good on me!!


Dr.Chang was fascinated to find that I had knit the scarf from bamboo. The work in my hands was silk - tussah silk. He knew all about tussah silk. That was no biggie, but bamboo? Wow!



I started the silk scarf when I sat down.
Two hours and two new fillings later, I have this much to show. Pepper rather likes the needles.


So we went to work. And then he asked the assistant to turn on the laser.

"Ayargghhh??" I grunted in some dismay. It's amazing how well he can interpret grunts. He explained, "The laser is much more efficient at removing old fillings than using the old drill." So again, the flash and buzz, but this time, no barbecue.

I now have two new porcelain fillings that are works of art and should be good for another fourty years. I went on to my Writer's group with a numb face and tongue, and had to ask someone else to read for me.

Got home in time to kiss DH as he headed out for his regular dental cleaning. Next Monday, he's getting fillings replaced. Dinner should be something mushy. The lips will be too stiff to manage liquids, and it's not a good idea to chew when you can't feel the inside of your cheeks. Mashed potatoes and gravy should just about fill the bill.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:04 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I too get great delight out of charming my dentist--but I think he's right. i don't think they'll be calling the drill 'fuzzy bunnies' anytime soon! :-)

     
  • At 4:42 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    The scarf looks pretty sweet. You'll need to post that pattern. :)

     
  • At 5:24 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I think with all the time and effort that goes into fillings, they should last forever! I have a few that are old and my dentist is making the "we should replace these" noises. I keep ignoring her but I know I'll give in one day soon.

     
  • At 8:19 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    I'm amazed that you can knit at the dentist's at all - I am usually flat on my back with my eyes shut against that light!

     
  • At 7:25 PM , Blogger Kate said...

    You can always make one of my favorites: Kraft (you can use any orange-flavored box, but Kraft is the best) mac and cheese and beef. Just brown the ground beef and make sure it's crumbled so you don't have to chew much at all, then mix it with the prepared mac and cheese. It's one of my favorite sick-time foods. Good to hear that you didn't have a grill party in your mouth this time. I would hate to be invited. I despise dentists, and having a laser in my mouth would just about kill me.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home