Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, October 03, 2009

my neighborhood


I took this shot on Thursday on the way home from a lovely lunch with LG. Life in the suburbs is verdant. October is when the rain starts, and we notice and APPRECIATE every bit of sunshine. It rained three times before dark, with sun breaks between showers.

One of the special treats of Thursday lunch with LG is the pack of male cyclists that whirr past the restaurant at noon. I don't know who they are, where they're from, or whither they are bound. I just watch them pass, martial thighs pumping under thin spandex, hairy calves flexing like scrambling litters of puppies, and the final view of all those tight, tight buns perched atop those tiny seats . . . Oh my, it's a pleasant event! I want to write a prayer of thanksgiving to the Goddess Lycra.

The primary treat of lunch with LG is the mutual affirmation and centering. We DO enjoy one another! Like-minded friends must be cherished. Time passes. People die. Enjoy 'em while you got 'em!

October is the bluest month for me. I just have to get past the death of summer, the dying of the light, the start of the long dark wetness. With November, I can start looking forward to our trip, then Christmas, then Valentine's Day, then my birthday, and then spring is in full swing and like Demeter, I am again ready to rock! So all I have to do is hang in for four more weeks and keep the sunny side up.

Planning the knitting party helps a lot, too. And the full-spectrum light DH got for me. Moreover, I have a long record of surviving Octobers, so I may sound a bit mopey through blogtoberfest, but it's no big deal.

7 Comments:

  • At 11:05 AM , Anonymous moiraeknittoo said...

    This whole post made me giggle. All praise to the Goddess Lycra indeed. :D And I concur about October - it's bittersweet for sure. I love the fact that we're entering into a time of rest, but I certainly don't surrender to it with much (if any) grace. I should probably do some ritual with pomegranates to help ease the transition, or maybe find a design called Persephone to knit and help get me in the right mindset.

     
  • At 2:34 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    Life as a celebration of ephemeral things, that's what October is all about for me. Cider! Donuts - okay, I sure make a donut's life ephemeral . . .

     
  • At 4:27 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I love October. It's the month of my wedding anniversary and right before my birthday. Then we slide right into Thanksgiving and Christmas.....It's one thing after another. I like the change of colors but I'm with you. I mourn the passing of the sunlight.

     
  • At 8:52 PM , Blogger Kate said...

    I am a sunflower, and always have been. I'm an August baby.
    We do something at my house that helps ease the passing of summer: "Putting the Orange Things Out." Basically, pulling out all the halloween/fall decorations and putting them around the house. Orange lights, leaf garlands, paper cutouts of black cats and honeycomb pumpkins... they bring back happy memories of falls past, which helps me welcome in the fall present.

     
  • At 11:07 AM , Blogger Em said...

    October has been one of my favorite months for a while now. It's finally cool again and you're not sticking to everything in ridiculous humidity. And the trees, oh the trees! The colors that nature comes up with astound me. And there's the way the air smells at night, and my good friend Orion comes back to visit for a few months. And there's less light, but the blue of the sky is so spectacular that it just about breaks your heart. And and and don't be sad! Light is good and important and wonderful, but the darkness can be sweet and mysterious and liberating in its own way. If nothing else, it gives you a great reason to snuggle!

     
  • At 6:12 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    "hairy calves flexing like scrambling litters of puppies"... both hilarious and a huge turn on at the same time-- thanks for that!

    And yeah--there is something supremely melancholy about the yellow light and autumn-colored sky, isn't there?

     
  • At 11:59 AM , Blogger The Fibers of Life said...

    Ok, speaking of lycra I must tell you this story. My DH in his biking days used to commute from our house in Milwaukie to his work at 33rd and not quite Marine Dr. One of the things he was always concerned about while biking was what he called "conspicuosity" which generally means letting drivers of cars notice you. So I made him a lycra bicycle jump suit pair of shorts kinda thingy. Stretchy and oh yes, Lime green. He had let his hair grow in those days and it was often pulled back in a pony tail, so here comes this lime green guy on a bicycle pedaling into the yard at Consolidated Freightways. He took a LOT of flack from the teamsters but he sure enjoyed his ride!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home