Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Fun at the Flock and Fiber Fest


We got a gorgeous weekend for the Fiber Fest this year. Just cool enough to enjoy strolling gently in the sunshine. And there were more vendors than I have ever seen. In fact, I must confess I didn't see them all. they were scattered all over the place. The people who brought their livestock also brought their goods. Fleece and roving and yarn and finished goods. One fellow had taken horse chestnuts, sliced them about a quarter inch thick on his band saw, oiled them, and sold them for $1.25 as buttons. He was doing box office business!



There were cashmere goats.


I don't remember the name of this rare breed of sheep, but she has a corrugated black face and long curly locks of wool.



Who doesn't adore alpacas?



And there were warrens of angora bunnies!




Braids of pastel roving sang to me. But I resisted.



Everyone was wearing their handknits.



Everywhere I turned there was more irresistable yarn. Oh, but I have enough yarn! I do! I really do!

Before the crowds got too pressing, I went in search of the Blue Moon booth. I found Iron River Yarns, and bought a skein of yarn, just walked up and bought it, because I don't have anything like it and I Had To Have It! Then I found jewelry. Ring broaches, omigawd! Enameled silver in the shapes of kitties and sheep and fishes. One fish was exactly the same colors as this yarn which had just hijacked me. Exactly. As if MADE for it. So I spend $18 on the yarn and I'm going to drop antoher $58 on a stunning fish-shaped ring broach to go with it? I, for the love of dog, considered it. Seriously. I was thinking about dropping almost sixty dollars on a broach to go with yarn I just bought because I don't use or wear these colors and had nothing like it. Reallizing I was being overcome by yarn fumes, I hurried myself outside. - Without the broach!



Here's that irresistable Iron River Yarn, and two mystery batts from Fantasy Fibers. I adore mystery batts. They are the combings off the carding drums, and have the tailings of whatever has been processed lately. They're inexpensive, fascinating, and a spinning lesson every time. And they make fun yarns!




Not only were there more vendors than I have ever seen, there were some killer sales! I found this Manly neutral alpaca and merino blend at 50% off. There was no more room in my basket, so I carried it on my hat. Many, many people admired my hat!





I was not the only noteworthy dresser there. This fellow was about 6'3" and looked quite intimidating from the back. But when he turned around, he had the gentlest, merry twinkle in his eyes! And he was very gracious about allowing me to photograph him.


SL andJL showed up for mybasket demonstration, for which I will be forever grateful. They were the ONLY people who were there to watch. Other people sort of glanced with interest in passing, but if it were not for SL and JL, I would have been giving my speech to the air. God bless them! Sorry - there are no videos.



The FFA had volunteered to supervise parking, but cancelled at the last minute. People, left to their own devices, are clueless. Some airhead parked at the very end of a row of cars, right next to the fence, not realizing that they had blocked the only exit for the three rows of cars further back. Oh, there were some fussy customers when THAT came to light! I have no idea how they solved it. But I was able to get my car out of the back of that lot when the time came. And now I am home with pounds more yarn and fiber, wondering where to put all this and when I'll ever have time to knit it up. But my inner magpie is quite happy.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:14 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Mmmmm... fibbberrrrrrr.... you are made of iron, Roxie... I might have offered a kid for a bargain swap, given some of that incentive.

     
  • At 9:31 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    Oooh, if it hadn't have been for hosting a slumber party I would have been there with bells, a pretty vest and a six-fingered glove on to watch the basket weaving demo. Those people have no idea what they were missing.

    I'm very impressed with your Will-o-Iron at leaving the event without livestock or a full-vehicle.

     
  • At 7:40 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Cashmere goats. I wonder if Grilltech would let me have one...

     
  • At 6:20 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    Well, I went browsing through the OK state sheep breeds website,
    http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/

    and while I still don't know what kind of sheep that is, my brain is now full of sheep breed names!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home