Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, April 26, 2009

blogging in non-chronological sequence

On Friday, DH, MJ and her nice husband Rick and I all went to the guilds show. The local Potters, guild, the weaver's guild, the metalworker's guild, the fine woodworkers guild, the jewelry guild and the beaders guilds all combine to rent the convention center for a weekend and do a rip-roaring, wham-bang show!
My friend Teresa Ruch was there with her gorgeous hand-dyed bamboo. I'm trying to stretch my usual pallatte. since most of my yarn is shades of purple.

But I love purple with a love that transcends all mediums. I would up buying a purple cup.

The potter's guild never ceases to astonish me. How many ways ARE there to make a cup? And why do I want them all? Different clays, different glazes, different techniques, and different people combine to create a mind-boggling array of useful and decoratve objects out of MUD!

Rick, being an engineer, was fascinated by the curved side tables with the inlaid fans. The math and forethought necessary to plot the graduated scallops and curves of both the inlay and the ground. Humans are astoundingly resourceful. In the metal workers room, there was a fellow who builds moving sculpture with wheels and flyweights and balances - sort of like mobiles, only standing on the ground and moving in all dimensions and at different speeds and angles. He has one deceptively simple piece that he said took over two years to build because he had to experiment with the kind of wire holding it together, and every time he changed the wire, then he had to change other components . . . and then he started talking vectors and ratios and my head was spinning as fast as the little balls on the ends of the sticks.

The glassworkers had lots of blown and slumped plates and panels, and lamp-worked beads which segued over into the beaders but by then my head was full and my eyes were glazing over. As was everyone else's. And it was lunch time.

So we drove to a newly trendy neighborhood and aimed for a newly established mexican place. We wound up parking around the block on a residential street and what should we find when we got out of the car? It was Sher Khan, guarding a big old birch tree. It was an awesome tree to play with. Lots of big deepholes and cavities and gnarly bits for toys to climb and hide.

Lunch was yummy. I asked for the "Polo Vurd." DH interpreted for me, explaining that I wanted the poyo vairday. (pollo verde.) It was SO fresh and tasty, but gee - $6 for two little saucer-sized tacos seems pretty steep. And they don't even spell it the way it sounds. Still a remarkably good time was had by all, and we will no doubt return to the shows next year. (MJ got a beautiful blue mixing bowl with a pour spout and a handle. Rick and DH got two happy wives. Everyone wins!)

7 Comments:

  • At 4:31 PM , Blogger Julie said...

    Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

    I just tried to e-mail you about some camo roving I have already dyed - 5 oz's worth. If you don't get the e-mail and are interested, e-mail me, okay?

     
  • At 7:40 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    What a great day! A placed where all the guilds come together for a weekend sounds wonderful! Pottery, too-- I love pottery which goes under the catergory of dishes, as in 'I never met a dish I didn't like!'

     
  • At 10:34 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    ooooooohhhh... That's all I got. I can wander those places like a kid wandering a candy store--but I better give my wallet to my husband!

     
  • At 11:26 AM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    I love seeing all that handmade stuff in one place...especially the crafts I don't do myself and love! I wonder if we have something like that here.

     
  • At 12:13 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    Sounds like you all had a grand time!

     
  • At 2:10 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I love a good cup. One that feels good in the hand. I have a small pitcher made out of local clay (all our local soil is clay) and I have been eyeing some bowls.... It looks like Teresa outdid herself again. Her colors are so vibrant.

     
  • At 4:38 PM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    That's an awesome cup!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home