Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, February 22, 2009

I was hijacked by the sewing machine

On Thursday, MJ came over and we whacked together a comforter top. We are getting really good at this quick and dirty random piecing! In four and a half hours we got a twin-sized top assembled. I would show you the pictures, but I can't find my camera. It's somewhere. . . might be under the piles of fabric bits still on the diningroom table. Might be somewhere else. I would also show you the picture of the two tops I whacked together yesterday and today. I took the camera to the Home and Garden show yesterday, but didn't get any photos. We did pick up thirty lily bulbs for $40. With any luck, I'll have a bunch of fragrant blooms of many colors this summer. And if I ever find the camera, I'll be able to post photos of them. I have a coupon for 50% off at Joanne's and will probably use it for batting. Maybe, by the time I get the comfoters assembled and tied, I'll have found the camera. It's got to be somewhere. Everything has to be somewhere - doesn't it?

There is something so darn seductive about piecing together scraps and oddments of fabric that are too small to make anything, really, and using them to create a practical thermal layer to help keep someone warm and comforted. It's addictive, adding one piece to the next to make something aesthically pleasing and functionally useful. Time disappears as you add one more strip, one more bit, oh, and I could sew this to that and that chunk will go down here and isn't there a dark scrap . . yes, there it is! And before you know it, your stomach is growling and the sun is setting.

I'm stash busting and have decided to make a couple of tea cozies as well. I've got scraps of batting and a several fat quarters that I just love and haven't been willing to slice up for anything. Anyone want a nice tea cozy? Just as there's a limit to the number of teapots you can use, there's a limit to the number of cozies you can store as well. I think. You never know till you try, right? So I'm back to the sewingmachine. And the hunt for the camera.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:39 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Looking for the camera sounds like the perfect thing to do while stretching between whacking! (Oh wait... that came out wrong!)

    Sounds like a fun day--I do remember quilting--it was a lot of fun!

     
  • At 8:07 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I hope you find the camera I want to see the comforters. Quilting and piecing is something I'm going to learn to do after I retire (if I ever retire).

     
  • At 6:34 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    I love lilies! I've always ordered them for fall planting. Can you plant them there right now?

     
  • At 7:22 AM , Blogger Galad said...

    So as soon as you find that camera I can look forward to quilt pictures. What a wonderful way to keep someone warm and cozy!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home