Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Fred, the moebius - and other furry personalities

Two summers ago at the Oregon Flock and fiber Fest, I ran across the Iron Mountain Hand Spinners and Dye-works, and found a skein of fluffy PINK wool that I just had to have. I had promised myself that I could shop till my basket was full, and the wool would have over-filled the basket, but I just had to have it. And then the twelve-year-old girl who had dyed the skein saw me holding and stroking it and shyly admitted that it was her handiwork. That clinched it. I told her I would love it and hug it and take it home and name it Fred. and after I had paid for it, I wrapped it around the crown of my hat and wore it the rest of the day.

Fred has lived in my stash, smiling shyly at me every time I dug into the pink basket. And last week, I HAD to knit with Fred. So, using size 10 circulars, I knitted a wide moebius in k1,p1 rib, and now I can wrap myself in Fred anytime I like.


As cowl or shawl, Fred is a cuddlesome delight.

On the other furry personalities front, here are some kitty pictures:
Ben is such a handsome lad.

Fly went out and got involved in a little fracas which involved a cat bite. We all know how toxic those can be. He got a great big abcess which, due to the extremely thick layer of fat wrapping his ribs, didn't show up for several days. Then we hustled him in to the vet, got a patch shaved, opened, and cleaned, and then had to spend two weeks, dosing him twice a day. Now, except for the bare spot, he is right as rain. I never want to let him outside again, but he has talked DH into sympathy with his "Free the fat cat" bill. Still, he doesn't stay out as long as he used to. And when he comes in, he wants to cuddle that bare spot right up against me.

10 Comments:

  • At 5:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    BEAUTIFUL colors in your Mobius. Those colors complement your complexion so well.
    That Ben is a cutie. And poor Fly. He should stay inside where it's safe and warm. I would if I could.

     
  • At 7:28 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Love the Mobius. Fred is sure to give you many hours of pleasure :-)

    Beautiful kitties look very contented. Glad to hear Fly is on the mend and not being quite as adventurous.

     
  • At 9:35 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    Fred looks lovely on you! And I must add Iron Mountain Spinners to my "Must Find at OFFF" list.

    Those fur kids look pretty contented - I bet it's because they've got mom and dad wrapped around their little paws. ;)

     
  • At 10:39 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    That moebius scarf is beautiful. Perfect color! You rock, Fred!

     
  • At 10:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Okay, I understand naming inanimate objects. Do you name all of your yarn or just the special pieces?

    Barb

     
  • At 6:45 AM , Blogger Pat K said...

    And do you only name your special yarn with guys names? Cuz, like, that would be really...thought provoking. (Does the DH know about this?)

     
  • At 9:54 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Fred is beautiful on you. The color suits you. And how cool to meet the young girl who spun it.

    My cats are outdoor adventurers. They used to get into dustups before they were snipped but no more. Now they turn tail and run.

     
  • At 12:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You name your stash? Of course you do. Who else would do such a thing? I just make stash....maybe others name it when it is adopted....

     
  • At 12:51 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    I love Fred! I love that Fred's now a moebius. I love the bald spot on Fly. I love the prospect of wrapping Fred around Fly's baldspot. Smooches to the kitties.

     
  • At 11:27 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Fred is GORGEOUS! How wonderful!

    But I must admit, I do wish we could kill that 'free the fat cat' bill in house, before it wraps itself around our feet and drives us batshit!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home