Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, February 07, 2009

We went to the car show

Along with the rest of the clowns. (click to enlarge) I have no idea why these guys were there.

It was, on the whole, a very subdued show. Not nearly as crowded as it has been in previous years. Not nearly as many cars. No "concept" cars. Even the colors were, for the most part, lowkey. Dark, saturated true blue was about the most exciting color out there. The reds had an orange under-tone. No optimistic rich burgundies and wine tones. Instead, imagine shiny, glossy rust. Really quite a pretty color, but not cheery. There was the obligatory yellow Volkswagon beatle, and Jeep Wrangler, but everything else was sober. Cadillac had some gorgeous blacks with blue or red or purple metalflake, and Lexus had a sedan the color of perfect toast. Lots of beiges and grays, and one or two goose-poop greens.

And then there were the Lamborghinis. Even sitting still, they look ready to suck up ALLL your money.

And Maserati - why should I buy a car that goes 250 miles an hour? 60 is the maximum legal limit unless I want to drive to Montana and drive 80 or take a boat to Germany and drive on the Autoban. And really, I don't WANT to go to Germany right now. I didn't leave anything there the last time I was through. So what's the point of spending hundreds of thousands of dollars for a car that goes 190 miles an hour faster than I will ever drive it?

Lots of hybrids. They don't do all that well, though. DH drives a Ford Explorer, and he gets just as good gas mileage as many of the hybrids. And our car is paid for.

The salesmen were hungry. I felt so sorry for them. It's hideously corrosive to stand around in the midst of a horde of people, ready to be attentive, but knowing that probably not one in twoo hundred will actually buy what you are offering. I'm NO good at sales work.

I blame my past few days silence on part-timers disease. Part of the time I can remember to plug in the laptop, and part of the time . . .

So, since I have been having such fun with the 25 things meme, I'm going to do 25 things about my friend LG.
1. LG has hair down to her hips. I am SO jealous of her long thick hair!!
2. She has a lovely alto voice, can sight-read music, and is not shy about singing in public.
3. She is a gifted actress.
4. Like many another gifted actress, she also has a day job in an office.
5.She is an avid bird-watcher.
6. She has a witty, droll, bawdy,delightful sense of humor and loves puns and dirty jokes as much as I do.
7. She is the kind of friend who can tell you that you have spinach on your teeth without making you feel like a disgusting slob.
8. She once, when I really, really needed it, sewed me a huge, heavy terrycloth bathrobe with a hood and pockets. I wore that bathrobe until the fabric across the shoulders disintegrated.
9. She let me cry on her shoulder when I realized that alcohol would kill my dad.
10. She was my labor coach when I had my baby and released him for adoption.
11. She thinks I'm wonderful. Can you believe it? After all the sordid details?
12. I have known LG for over three decades.
13. She laughs as loudly and wholeheartedly as I do.
14. She writes really, really well.
15. She has a large and tender heart.
16. She and her beloved husband adopted an abused dog and helped it get in touch with its inner pup.
17. LG is a marvelous gardener.
18. When LG had her house painted, she consulted with her neighbor to make sure the color would be acceptable to someone who would see it every time she looked out her window.
19. LG made green tomatoe pie and it was yummy!
20.LG knits, creatively and with splendid color sense.
21. LG reads a lot and watches almost no TV.
22. LG has lost a bunch of weight this past year and looks pretty darn good!
23. She is a woman, "of a certain age."
24. You wouldn't think it to look at her.
25. She went to college in Chicago.

7 Comments:

  • At 9:17 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    LG sounds wonderful! Clowns at the car show? We got lost today by the Expo center (we were trying to make it from 82nd street to Jantzen Beach). Anyway, at one point I spotted a car with a knitting bumper sticker and I told my girls that we'd follow that car. Sure enough, we found our way. Knitters rock. I saw that one of the larger car dealerships was closing a lot down in the Portland area. "Paid for" is the best kind of car to have right now. Cheers!

     
  • At 8:28 AM , Blogger Pat K said...

    All of our cars are paid for, as well, and it costs much less to keep them in top shape than it does to go out looking for something new. There are dealerships closing out in this area, and numerous other businesses as well. But at least you got out and about to have a good time! Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

     
  • At 9:41 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    Look at all the bare carpet in that photo - no people on it!

    I don't understand what the big deal is about a hybrid that only gets 40 mpg. My Honda Fit gets 34. My husband's Honda Civic gets 40 all the time. My brother used to drive a Honda CRX that got 50 mpg!

     
  • At 9:47 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Our cars are paid for and although mine is a Rodeo, it still gets mileage good enough to keep it. It's a 94 and hasn't hit a hundred thousand miles yet. Lots of good years in that baby.

    LG sounds like a good friend to have.

     
  • At 11:20 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    OKay, the car post had me all depressed, but the idea that you've got a friend as wonderful as LG makes me happy again!!!! Lovely, lovely, amazing friend--makes me really happy to know she's out there:-)

     
  • At 1:01 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    You have such amazing and wonderful friends. It's always nice to appreciate what we do have :-)

     
  • At 5:47 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    My son Mike did some research on cars (geek that he is) and concluded that hybrids actually use more energy than regular gas engines in manufacture than they save in energy on the highway.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home