Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, November 08, 2008

another knit-in

The theme for today was - autumnal tones. Sorta. I was planning on using the brown tablecloth, but then more people said they would come, so the brown cloth wouldn't have been big enough. I gotta sit down and color-code my tablecloths so I know how big each one is without unfolding the whole thing. The only cloths that are long enough for both leaves out are the white ones. (Note to self: create a long brown cloth) I have been treating myself to a new napkin ring when I have stuck to the Weight Watcher's plan for a week. Everyone got a different napkin ring - wooden, or metal. Tan napkins, white plates (Our everyday salad plates.) yellow cups and saucers, and dark red marigolds in little vases.

Oh, it was so much fun! It always is. We are talking about maybe getting together for a weekend sometime and extending the fun.

LG brought a cornucopia of goodies - muffins and savories (cheese and bacon pastries, feta and roasted red pepper pastries) and a jar of awesome peach jam (made, no doubt, from awesome peaches) I had hot honey-butter biscuits (YUM) and chicken salad sandwiches which pretty much vanished. The potqto/rosemary bread was so good I wouldn't be surprised if people ate the filling just because the bread was around it.

And we talked about - politics natch, and men, of course, and kids, school uniforms,pets, and what's been up in our lives. One of us lives four houses away from a landslide site and I asked her to tell us about it. Wow! And this of course led us to discussions of the economy and house prices and building codes and before we knew it, hours had flown and it was time to go.

It's a lot of work to pull these soirees together, and clean up afterward is more or less work depending on how much handwashing is required. And to show up for one of these requires hours out of a busy weekend, and the effort to find new locations and get along with new people. And ya know what? It's worth it!! It is so nurturing to get together with like=minded friends.

11 Comments:

  • At 9:42 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Your day sounds absolutely delightful. Another lovely table (even with the white tablecloth :-)

     
  • At 2:14 AM , Blogger Janette said...

    So pleased you enjoyed yourself. It is worth every bit of effort you and everyone else puts in.

    Fabulous table setting too!

     
  • At 6:56 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    Sounds yummy!

    I'm glad you got to enjoy this one.

     
  • At 10:47 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Much better than getting cat-bit! And I, like you, need to have pockets. I am absolutely addicted to chapstick and feel naked if I don't have one in my pocket. And a tissue, and a pen, and....I feel lost when I wear pants without a pocket.

     
  • At 3:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ooh, when I read about that spread I regret not coming. I bailed on Wordstock because I needed some "me time" to catch up on things, so I could have come, but the "me time" won out. Now my stomach is cursing my brain.

     
  • At 5:13 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    How lovely--and thank you for telling us about it--I like to imagine I'm there:-)

     
  • At 6:56 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    I'm at the end! I don't want to be done reading Roxie's blog. (stamps foot!)

    You table, white cloth and all is lovely.

     
  • At 9:16 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Wish I had been there! All those wonderful goodies AND knitting AND friends!

     
  • At 1:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Bless you for doing this, Roxie. Meanwhile I was in Salem convening w/my fellow Episcopalians,trying to seriously engage in some rather sophomoric group feelgood exercises. "Affirmative Inquiry" - so how do we speak truth to power if we can only say something nice?
    Good thing I went, though - I was an alternate but one delegate is fighting the remains of pneumonia. It was observeded that I looked nothing like him - he being a 6 ft +, 65ish bearlike gay man....but was just as crochety - and I undoubtedly voted as he would have.I'm still catching up on sleep. I thought of you all, as I drank institutional coffee and ate whatever I could find...and, as I got lost - repeatedly - in Salem, remembered that my car, AKA Rosanante, knows the way to Roxie's in her sleep...

     
  • At 5:06 PM , Blogger Bells said...

    they are a lot of work but so worth it. Gorgeous.

     
  • At 2:19 AM , Blogger Kate said...

    You have an absolute gift for setting a romantic table. "Romantic", you query? Yep, just check out all that food, colour and texture seduction. I'm so glad that you've a bunch of friends who believe in this kind of get together. It look like a wonderful indulgence.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home