Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, November 06, 2008

and so I like KNITTED something, and it was like cool!

Well, Blogger is being a complete pill about loading photos today and will probably get them in the wrong order, as it has before, but . . . About a year ago I got a pound of roving from Abundant Yarn and Dyeworks. It was colored mallard and teal with touches of peacock and small flights of parakeet. It was lovely, mysterious stuff.

About a year ago I sat down at my wheel and spun it up then plied it. It was dark and blended and erratic as a wood-duck.

Over the last week, that yarn has suddenly sung to me, called me, invoked my time and attention. So, wanting a mindless project, as usual, I began knitting a rectangle. It was wonderful the way the colors playaed together. I would never had combined them that way, but they twined and flowed in poetic harmony.

I used up all the yarn and knitted a rectangle about five feet long. Then I measured with my hand from the center of my breastbone to the point of my shoulder (a handspan, actually) measured that out on the rectangle, and clipped a thread, raveled down a handspan and then some, picked up the live stitches, and knitted a cuff of some dark green cascade I had. Then I lay it down on the floor, lay my shoulders on it, figured where the other armhoe should go, clipped another thread, raveled and knitted another cuff. Sewed the shoulder seams, and found that it was assymetric. Well, hooray! I sewed on a concho for a button, added an afterthought pocket, and now have the coziest eccentric vest ever. Love it. If only Blogger would let me post more photos.

Everyone who has suggested that I read "Agatha Hetrodyne, Girl Genius", you were right, I adore it!!

9 Comments:

  • At 8:54 PM , Blogger Tammy said...

    You take your knitting to the extreme. I would never have come up with something like that. I love it though!

     
  • At 9:16 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Hurray for creativity! I would never come up with something like that but it is inspiring. I love it!

     
  • At 4:05 AM , Blogger Janette said...

    That looks fabulous!

     
  • At 4:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That yarn is GORGEOUS. It looks so soft. Well done on the whole project.

     
  • At 5:08 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    That's what makes you a Master Knitter! That's way cool.

    And I love Girl Genius. I look forward to Mon, Wed, and Fri. so I can read it. She's a wonder. I also like Dr. McNinja. (he's a doctor and a ninja!). Can't have too many thoughtful crime fighters.

     
  • At 6:28 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Oh I LOVE it when a plan comes together! It's GORGEOUS!

     
  • At 9:42 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    I see I'm in good company!

    I love Agatha and those subtle, smoky colors.

     
  • At 6:53 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    You ARE a genius! It's lovely. I love the colors and it's so stylish. NEVER would have thought to start with a rectangle.

     
  • At 2:23 AM , Blogger Kate said...

    Yep, you definitely earned your Mastery. Apart from the colour play, it's drape is stunning. This is absolutely gorgeous. I have garment envy. I'd like to think that I could wear something like that but I know that it would just make me look like I had melons instead of boobs!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home