Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, July 21, 2008

A walk in the park

LG and I had agreed to do some sewing on Sunday afternoon, but it was such a glorious day that neither of us wanted to stay inside, so we went for a walk in a local park. Or rather, we went for a leisurely stroll. Not fast enough to break a sweat, but easily, steadily moving on. and talking and laughing, having a marvelous time. Laurelhurst Park,is a very urban park. LG is quite a birdwatcher, and I suggested she could introduce me to some birds, but she said, "There aren't really any birds in the city parks." As we strolled along, her trained eye and ear was caught by a fluster in the branches of a nearby sycamore tree. A young Cooper's hawk was out on a limb, getting flying lessons from his parents. We stood and watched and listened for a good ten minutes till he finally got the nerve to jump and flap and o-mi-gawd-mom I'm flying!


No pictures of hawks, here. Just green and trees and sunshine and shade. A sculpture to play on. Picnic tables and families and church groups and boyscouts having barbecuse and picnics and playing games. Young lovers making out in the grass. People walking dogs. And a pond. Lucia (rhymes with fuschia) had a post featuring turtles, and I had remarked that I had never actually seen Oregon turtles in the wild. Then Sunday, as we lollygagged and loitered our way past the pond, there was a log and there were three contented turtles. My camers doesn't have enough zoom, but they were, by golly, Oregon turtles in the wild (sort of - feral turtles anyhow) sunning themselves happily on a log.

then we went to a neighborhood coffee shop and had treats and moseyed our way back to the sewing projects but never got around to it. So we'll have to make an appointment to sew another day. It's been a long, long time since I've had such a relaxing, satisfying, easy-tempoed walk!

Thank you, LG!



6 Comments:

  • At 10:14 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    I usually walk around our property, but this last week it's been raining, and the mosquitoes and deer flies just about carry me away!

     
  • At 2:03 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    That's funny about the turtles! Figures that they waited until you said you'd never seen any. Lovely walk. The pond in that last picture truly looks like pea soup.

     
  • At 2:25 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    It is so green and lush where you are! Your walk sounds so nice and relaxing - perfect for summer.

     
  • At 2:00 AM , Blogger Janette said...

    So pleased to read you both had such a great day.

    Looking forward to seeing the sewing when you two find time!

     
  • At 8:56 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Even if I can't see the turtles I love the photo. So rich.

    And those kinds of days are rare and special.

     
  • At 11:57 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    And ah, what a perfect day! (I once caught a snapping turtle when I thought I was looking for a fish. Turtles in the wild--who knew?)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home