Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, July 11, 2008

Artsy crap

On the trip to Long Beach, we stopped in Astoria, where we had dinner in a Bosnian restaurant. But before we did that, we stopped out at the docks and dropped off some clothes to MJ and RW's oldest son who is working as a Merchant Marine Mess Mate on a salvage vessel.





It was, for Astoria, phenomenally nice weather. Here is the bridge from the west, photo taken off the deck of the salvage vessel.



While the guys looked at large pieces of onboard machinery, I took my camera out on the dock to discover a great coiling of chains basking in the rare sunshine.




Happy, well-tanned chain, hanging out and catching rays.
All the chains seemed very together and well-integratred. They exuded a zen-like sense of calm.


I grew very daring and attempted to pet one of the smaller chains. Like a guard at Buckingham Palace, it remained unmoved.



So, tentatively, I approached the largest chain and gently tickled it. Have you ever heard a chain chuckle? I would not have expected such a response from any being with so much gravity. I was preparing to settle down and say, "Your work must be fascinating! I bet you could tell me stories, couldn't you?"

But the guys were done and it was time to go. Still, I hope to link up with these chains again sometime soon.

9 Comments:

  • At 9:25 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Oh darling--only you could make a pile of 'tanned and zen' metal on a dock, interesting! And not only interesting--fascinating, entertaining, and warm. I'd like to meet a chain now, and honestly, I didn't see their finer qualities until just this moment.

     
  • At 10:20 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Link up with them? He he. I love big chains. They are so strong and hard working looking. And then contrast them to fine gold chains and it's amazing that they are all made the same but are sooo diferent.

     
  • At 1:24 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    I'd love to hear the stories those chains would have to tell you. I'm sure the stuff of adventures and courage :-)

     
  • At 1:57 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    As I first scrolled down and saw the top of the pic., I thought I was looking at spices. Or branches.

    Chains. Whoa.

     
  • At 8:08 PM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    The chains look like piles of chocolate spaghetti to me.

     
  • At 10:27 PM , Blogger Kate said...

    Wow. Knowing that there are chain links that big makes me realise just how flaming big ships can get. Its like standing next to a buttressed cathedral when your local church fits 50 at a squeeze. I love that it looks well travelled. I wonder if the rust talks to the barnacles on the ship keels?

    Maybe I'm getting a ibit silly, now...?

     
  • At 5:43 AM , Blogger margene said...

    So glad they didn't bite and that you had some time to chill out with them, too.

     
  • At 9:40 AM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    LOL! I saw the title "Artsy Crap" and glanced at the brown piles and thought, "OMG, she's blogging about sh!t."

    Hehe! Link up with them, indeed!

     
  • At 7:12 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Love the chain photos. And I heard Sanna speak.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home