Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, July 14, 2008

A love note to July

My lilies are blooming. The big, fragrant oriental ones that fill the house with perfume, and last and last. All the delicate pink and fancy ones went toes up during the last hard freeze, but these babies just go stubbornly from strength to strength in white and yellow glory, trumpeting the values of toiling not, nor spinning. And even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as one of these.






And the daylilies in their ephemeral proliferation teach me that beauty for the moment is reason enough for existence. (But if you want to gussy up your salads, daylilies are edible, as are violets, rose petals and nasturtiums. You would, of course, want to avoid anything sprayed with toxic pesticides and the like. Get your edible lilies from people as lazy as we are. Nothing gets sprayed around here!)



Orange is not one of my rave fave colors, and yet the daylilies make me so happy!

No news of depth and content today. Just a little eye-candy and a virtual hug.

8 Comments:

  • At 10:23 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Funny, isn't it? I don't like the color orange but n a flower it's a whole 'nother color.

    My favorites are the scented day lilies. Yours look wonderful.

     
  • At 11:20 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Love the lilies and can almost smell then from here.

     
  • At 6:27 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Lilies are so beautiful but the smell makes me nauseaus. The same with Irises. I don't know what it is but if I receive flowers and there is a lily in the bunch, I have to pull it out. I get all headachy and sick. It's weird because I would fill my yard with them for their beauty.

     
  • At 11:52 AM , Blogger the boogeyman's wife said...

    what a great love note! they're beautiful flowers.

     
  • At 4:06 PM , Blogger Bells said...

    Glorious! I had no idea day lillies were edible.

     
  • At 8:13 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    And carefully pull out the stamens or the pollen will stain everything it touches.

    The Professor is alas also sensitive to the fragrance of lilies. Otherwise, I'd have them everywhere.

     
  • At 3:24 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    I call the lily pollen "homegrown henna". If you want to get it out of fabric, the sun will mostly bleach it out for you.

     
  • At 8:45 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Both the lovely pictures and the 'virtual hug' are very appreciated, darling--thank you!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home