Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

finishing a couple things

Not the most attractive pose to show off this lovely silk and wool hand-painted Silk Maiden top from the kit that Janette gave me lo these many years ago, but when dealing with a self-timer, you take what you can snap. And I also get to show off my rack, here. It's behind me. That brown x-ie thing. OH, yeah, and the sweater makes my boobs look good, too. It feels wonderful! Perfect for these air-conditioned days. Cool enough for a stroll from the office to the car in 90 degree heat, and still warm enough in the office where they keep the place chilled to the point where your fingers get numb.

Speaking of fingers, back in my youth (just before the advent of the dinosaurs) I took a business machines class, and became rather adept at the ten-key adding machine. I have a task at work that requires me to enter a series of nine digit numbers, and my clever, clever fingers have not forgotten their training. It's a delight to just look at the number on the page, and let my fingers happily dance across the number pad unassisted. I don't touch type, so this digital dextreity is quite magical to me. My fingers know where the 2 is. They can find 549620188 without looking. They are such good, smart fingers.


And here's that rosey scarf again. I tried fringes of pearls, but they just didn't move in a properly fringish fashion. I tried a fringe of other beads, and they were variously tacky, yucky, clunky, and far too artsy. So I just sewed pearls along the edge. I think it's quite nice, don't you? It's better in real life.

Now, for something completely different, I've been thinking about the economy (blame Lucia) and I am reminded of a Peanuts cartoon where Linus says, "Life has its ups and downs." and Lucy replies, "Not mine. I'm going to have nothing but ups. Up, up, up! You hear me?"

I think the powers that be have been taking a rather Lucy view of the economy, and I think it's rather unrealistic. In life and in nature, there are ups, and there are downs. There is a limited ammount of money in circulation. Ok, they can print more, but then it buys less. so let's call it monetary value, ok? Give and take. So, how can the economy be constantly growing? If someone gets a lot of monetary value, someone else has spent it. If CEOs are making mega-millions, someone else is taking it in the shorts. And don't get me started on the obscenity of professional athlete's salaries. But I don't see how the powers that be, the government, the economists, the financial whizzes, can honestly believe that they can prevent the occasonal down-turn. a balancing as it were, of the scales.

And what does that mean to those of us down in the trenches? Well. let's re-assess buying on credit and doing our bit to stimulate the economy. Maybe we could let the poor old over-stimulated economy settle down a bit while we sock a few dollars away for hard times. No one is singing the praises of a simple savings account, In fact we are sometimes scolded for the folly of keeping our money somewhere it draws so little interest. And yet, there's something to be said for a bit of security. If you put $100 into savings, six years later you still have $100. No one else can promise that. Maybe you can't buy as much with it, but that's because the economy is doing its own version of printing more money. Inflation. And half the other solid-gold investments have gone belly up and your $100 would be worth about $45.90 - which dowsn't buy as much as it used to either.

There are people who won't buy anything they don't already have the money for. I stand in awe of them. And, in my doddering old age, I'm leaning in that direction. Why should I pay someone else for the priveledge of using his money when, if I just wait a bit, I can use my own money and not have to pay a fee on it? Time to start saving for the Flock and Fiber Fest in September!

Here endeth the musing.

6 Comments:

  • At 6:31 PM , Blogger Kate said...

    H.I. and I have just finished having very similar discussions re economy and spending, saving and investing. He's of the invest mentality and I'm of the save mentality. I know that I'm not getting sufficient interest to keep pace with CPI but I'm also in the happy position of knowing exactly how much money I have today and tomorrow. His investments all wildly vary and it's very difficult to get an idea of what's happening. It just feels like gambling to me. I know this is a very naive view of stocks, shares and bonds but there you go.

    And I really enjoyed your reminisce on adding machines. I had to input 4000+ series of file numbers into a xls spreadsheet when we closed down the migration section at the consulate in LA. The boss had allowed for 4 weeks to get this done - I did it all in a week just using the number pad on the key board and listening to the radio. Boring but it kept me in the States with H.I. for a month longer : )

     
  • At 8:44 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Darling, your rack is gorgeous! (and your drying thingie looks good too!) You know I have a soft spot for that scarf--the colors are gorgeous--but I can't comment on the economy. Our debt-load is squashing the air from my lungs!

     
  • At 9:54 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Very thoughtful and insightful discourse on the economy - thanks for sharing it.

    I'm a big fan of 10 key - it is just fun! I had to learn it over a weekend for a job I was trying to get and have found it very useful ever since.

    Beautiful top and scarf (I like the subtle touch of the pearls) - what's next on the knitting agenda?

     
  • At 11:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Fabulous top, and both racks are nice. And it's nice to see the cat window from the outside.
    As for savings, I have the same account, with no gains. NO losses, but no gains. At least it's in a (relatively) safe spot.

     
  • At 2:32 PM , Blogger the boogeyman's wife said...

    i love the pearl edging!

    i read lucia's post too, and tried not to get to rantish in my reply. good point about the gov't trying to control things - of course they can't and i'm not much fond of their manipulations either. funny how we're encouraged to buy, and like you said, "we are sometimes scolded for the folly of keeping our money somewhere it draws so little interest." like it gets more interest in the store's cash register! but the main point you make is what i never understand, and yet it's the basic underlying premise to our idea of modern economics: ever upward. it's impossible and it doesn't make sense (great peanuts example!). but it seems like nobody ever questions it, or the supposed need for us all to buybuybuy whether we have money or not. thanks for letting me know i'm not the only crazy person out there asking questions.

     
  • At 7:56 AM , Blogger Janette said...

    Hi there

    I'm late in responding to this post as I find I simply cannot squish enough in the 24 hours alloted to me in one day!

    The silk maiden top looks fabulous! So pleased you are happy with it. A bit mean of me making you knit your own gift, will not do that again. Still, you both look fabulous!

    Do love your rosey scarf too. The pearls look lovely and I agree, much better than having them dangle.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home