Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, June 23, 2008

old roses



Frequently, hybrid tea roses are grafted onto hardy old rose root stock. After a particularly hard freeze one winter, the pink hybrid tea rose bush died. The next summer, the old rose roots threw up these eager red, red roses. They bloom only once a year, but boy do they bloom with enthusiasm! Not much scent, but a lotta color!
And one of my favorite sights is the stained-glass translucence of sunlight on the leaves. Still emerald bliss.
I was sitting close to the window, working on the lace, glanced up to see three crows feasting on the mushy watermelon we threw out, then looked back at my work. Suddenly the crows started shrieking. Shrieking, - I kid you not! I looked back outside, and there was the neighbor's Abbysinian cat with a crow's throat clamped in her jaws. The other two crows were just standing there, yelling. The cat gave the crow one good shake, and was up and over the fence with it. A couple of minutes later, I could hear, through the closed window, one of the neighbors hollaring, "Abby! NO! Put it down!" that cat's a heck of a huntress.
The lace has gone ever so much easier. I finished the first swatch today. Same pattern twice more in different colors. And then a few neckpieces with beads on them. Pretty!
And the weigh-in at Weight Watchers brought good news today. Last week I was up a pound and a half. This week down four pounds! yayyyy! I ate a lot of strawberries this weekend. That must have done it. The Hood strawberries are in and I'm gonna eat myself into a stupor. That's my plan, anyhow. What local, seasonal goodies are you savoring?

3 Comments:

  • At 10:10 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Wow--that is one killer cat! (My parents had a cat who used to leave moles on their porch--that's not a small animal!)

    For me it's strawberries and corn...uhmmmm... (Our air is so smoky right now... I feel like I'm breathing fresh air when I look at your pictures!)

     
  • At 9:28 AM , Blogger Galad said...

    I'd have to go with corn as my favorite summer food. Unfortunately my annual pilgrimage to Iowa for fresh corn may occur this year. No one is sure how much corn there will be with all of the flooding :-(

     
  • At 1:21 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    I love looking up through the leaves of trees and taking photos.

    How cool about the roses! I would have dug up the roots, moved on and missed the show!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home