Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, June 20, 2008

Midsummer's day

Are you going to be leaping a bonfire for luck and fertility tonight? I may skip over a candle in the backyard just for form's sake. It's not every solstice we get to see sunshine, but today looks glory-ous! Look!










The plum tree is trying to survive in the shadow of a walnut and a willow. There's a little more sunshine over here to the right, so it leeeeeans for it. The roses and clematis have twined companionably around the plum. See the spots of red and blue?









Since we have morning sun, I thought I might as well do a solstice self-portrait. Roxie with apple tree. Maybe next time, I'll ditch the fluffy robe.











On the knitting side, I hate lace. I am not good at lace and lace is not at all forgiving. You have to read the fricking pattern exactly right on every dog-blammed row. Teresa Ruch of Teresa Ruch Designs yarns wants her yarn sampled in a lace pattern. In exchange for which, she will give me yarn. It's lovely yarn, and it's perfect for lace. I have already sampled it in the right angles scarf in blue, and the little neckpiece in lavender and grey. Now she wants samples of the bamboo, the tencell, and the bamboo/tencell combo in a pretty little lace motif. I, however, am lace impaired. I worked for five hours on one stinking 30 stitch, 45 row repeat, and now have to frog the barstid AGAIN! Thank God I get to do the same motif three times. God help me if I had to learn a different motif! The yarn is worth it.







And I got beads for a few more neckpieces. They should make nice little kits.

7 Comments:

  • At 11:09 AM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    45 rows is a loooooong motif.

    The first time I tried to knit lace, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, but I just kept going, blindly following the instructions. It turned out okay, and I learned a lot.

     
  • At 11:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Have a blessed Alban Hefin! I'm celebrating with the non-pagans tonight (for my brother's upcoming birthday).

    Gorgeous pics too (as usual!)

     
  • At 1:16 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    Ditch the fluffy bathrobe for what next time? hehehe

     
  • At 6:40 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Lace! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

    Yes, the lace has a wicked sense of humor.

    I do like your lace.

     
  • At 6:42 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    PS: laughing WITH you . . . you are laughing, right?

     
  • At 9:24 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Oh dear... hugs? Love lace, hate charts...I do best on stuff that's easy to remember but that could have to do with the odd lap impediments that haunt the house...oh my. One of them is naked now, when she wasn't when I started this reply--your yard looks lovely, darling--happy solstice! (I spent mine sleeping in the A/C--it was 104 today.)

     
  • At 11:57 AM , Blogger the boogeyman's wife said...

    i didn't leap over a midsummer fire, but a proper maypole to dance around would have been cool. maybe next year.....

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home