Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Ten things I like about me #8

I like that I can find beauty and solace in the commonplace. It's all around us, and all we need to do is look for it. I've gotten prize-winning poems from seeing a strand of spiderweb glinting in the light, or from finding three almonds in a coat pocket. I spent a week in the hospital, so dehydrated from hepatitis that I had no blood-pressure, and comforted myself with the pleasure of the cool side of the pillow, the happy texture of the cotton blanket under my fingers, the playful dance of dust motes in the light from the nurses' station. (I tried thinkig of scents and flavors to enjoy, but when you have hepatitus, even the thought of scents and flavors gives you the dry heaves.) I've been pulled back from near suicide by a shaft of sunlight falling on a yellow-leafed tree. Thank God for commonplace beauty!

Yesterday, I felt a bit guilty about taking a snow day, so I actually DID do some housework. I swept and scrubbed the floor of the computer room, actually worked up a sweat, took a fabulously self-indulgent mid-day bubblebath (Lush French Kiss bubblebar - ahh lavendar bliss!) and had a sinfully indolent nap. There were over 600 travel accident-related calls to 911 yesterday.

So, in counterpoint to the winter weather, I have a shot of a good dog guarding the boss's boat in St. Lucia. Because, today is cruiseday.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:21 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    That truly is a wonderful gift! One of my gifts is that (with a little help from chatty me) my family can remark on small things, talk about them, make them interesting as a whole. We spend our time together telling stories of our lives and consider it well spent.

    I love your gifts so far, Roxie--although I hope you never have only the pleasure of a clean pillow to give you solace again. (i.e., hepatitis sounds totally sucky and please stay healthy.)

    Good cruisday pic--we need warmth and sunshine, even if it's only in blogland.

     
  • At 4:11 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    That is truly a wonderful thing to be able to do. It's one of the things I like about myself. I can always (alright, almost always) find something to hold on to, to admire or to enjoy in a situation. I empathize with not finding soothing sounds, or smells or tastes in a hospital. I spent a week in Aug of 06 and then a week in Sept of 06 for cellulitis. I felt like caca and the iv antibiotics made everything taste like metal and chemicals. Not an experience I want to repeat any time soon.

     
  • At 6:47 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Love the photo. I looooong for spring and summer.

     
  • At 8:22 PM , Blogger Shan said...

    I am loving this series!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home