Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Thursday the 17th

Yesterday I took GED tests to the local county jail which means I drive a ways down a rarely used lane. Combining the elevation with the fog had put a light glaze of ice on everything, and as the cautious old woman I am, I was just creeping along. I came around a corner to face a police cruiser rather casually driving down the center of the lane. He tapped his brakes - and began to spin slowly, slowly like a graceful iceskater. When you see a Crown Victoria gliding sideways toward you, does your life pass in front of your eyes? No - your insurance policy does. I took my foot off the gas and steered gently toward the shoulder, and he was skilled enough to correct and pass me with inches to spare. No harm, no foul, lots of adrenalin. I know he was a much more cautious driver the rest of the morning. Goodness knows I was!

Other than that, life has been quite uneventful. Since Monday is a Federal holiday, and I work for the guvmint (state school system) I gets Monday off! What to do, what to do? I'm thinking maybe haul out the sewing machine. Clean house? Recycle cardboard boxes? Prune rosebushes? but- that sounds like work. If I have a day OFF, I want to frivol with it.

I am knitting fingerless gloves in pale khaki for one of DH's breakfast buddies. Pictures tomorrow when the ends are sewn in on the first one. One of the ladies at our writer's group told me that I could sell these to baristas in those little drive-up windows. I'm convinced of the need, but not the market. People just don't want to spend the money for knitting time. It takes me about ten hours to make a pair of those mitties. How much is my time worth? I do it for love, not money. Baristas need to befriend knitters. Everyone needs to befriend knitters, come to think of it. They NEED to!

4 Comments:

  • At 1:10 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    And I need to befriend a barista who needs to befriend me so we can exchange her coffee for my knitting and we'll both be ecstatic about knitting and wired on caffeine.
    About mitered diamonds (I refuse to call them squares as they are not squares but they are diamonds) yes, oh my, I do love them. So easy. So satisfying.
    I too have Monday off! Thanks State School System. I am going to get friendly with the aran sweater pattern, finally.

     
  • At 2:19 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I'm glad that it was only a close call!! It's not the inclement weather or road conditions that concern me if I really have to go out - it's the freaks who don't know how to drive well or who just don't bother to!

     
  • At 8:23 PM , Blogger Shan said...

    Enjoy your long weekend!

     
  • At 9:16 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Take a nap, do some knitting--take the day off!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home