Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, November 17, 2007

I love my friends

Thank you, folks, for giving me perspective and cheer. It's hard to get a real pity party going for myself when I'm in touch with so many wonderful people!

DH and I went to the mall for some early exercise. Some of the stores are open already at 7:30. Everything except Nordstrom's is decorated for Christmas. Santa is sitting for photos starting today. We have a full month of hohoholiday. I don't think it's such a good thing. I have heard that in the old days (1930s) Stores didn't decorate for Christmas until Dec. 1st. Can you imagine? Why, you wouldn't even have time to get sick of the carols. (Swertogawd, one more parumpahpumpum and I'm gonna HURT that little drummer boy!)

I still don't have anything for mom, though I'm looking for a long, dark, soft, machine-washable cardigan sweater with pockets and something sparkly on it. If I can find the sweater, I can always add the something sparkly. Don't tell her though. She likes it so much better if it's not handmade.

And does anyone else put together a few generic sort of presents to keep on hand in case someone unexpectedly gives you a gift and you didn't have anything for them? Thank God for rumballs! They solve a lot of gifting problems. When your friends reach a certain age, their tastes have become specific, they don't need more - stuff - and yet you still want to give them something. Rum balls. At worst, they can pull them out when company drops by, or take them in to the office. At best, they will eat them all in the car on the way home.

I love Dole's canned peaches in the jars. And I have been saving the nice big jars all year, so now I have many air-tight small containers to fill with rumballs. Just add a ribbon, and it's a gift! Tahhdahh! Sometimes, the jars even come back to me with interesting home-made goodies therein. Jams or bath salts pickles or such. I love recycling gifts. One friend and I used the same piece of gift wrap, passing it back and forth, for five years till someone's husband threw it away.

Today is DH's birthday. I got him a shirt and a book and an exercise machine. It's hard to find toys for big boys who buy whatever they want when they see it. He keeps saying tht it's just another day for him. I can NOT accept that. In my heart of hearts, I know that birthday's are the most important day of the year. How could someone not care? Is it a defense against being disappointed? Or is he really telling the truth and just doesn't care that today is his day? Ask him? Well, he expects me to believe what he says. But a great portion of my inner committee simply can't believe it. It's like arguing with my inner compass. I know that north is over there and you can tell me it's not, and you may be right, but my compass insists that it's is north over that way.

So does anyone else truely, truely not care when your birthday rolls around?

12 Comments:

  • At 1:34 PM , Blogger Bells said...

    The unexpected gifts issue plagues me every year. I always mean to get organised and never do. Make some things like you've done might be a good option for me this year, Roxie. Good thinking.

    I actually feel really weird about the whole thing and I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on it. I wouldn't want to be given a gift just because I'd given one. Obligatory gifts aren't really very inspiring, are they? I got caught out last year once or twice and I thought, god, I didn't get anything, what should I do? I don't like that feeling!

     
  • At 1:35 PM , Blogger Bells said...

    hang on, just realised you're having turducken. That's amazing. Photos! Photos! I will look forward to hearing how it goes.

     
  • At 5:09 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Happy Birthday Roxie's DH!! Many happy returns of the day.

    When I worked I didn't want a fuss made at work. With just Sweetie and I we have a nice dinner where the birthday-ee wants and then the birthday-ee goes and picks out what they want. That may not work for every couple, but it's worked for us. We do the ice cream, cake and presents thing at SIL/BIL's house.

    As far as the unexpected gift thing, I get 3 or 4 $20 Borders gift cards and keep them handy in gift bags. If we don't need them, then we get to spend them after Christmas.

     
  • At 8:36 PM , Blogger Shan said...

    I usually keep some candles or a couple of boxes of chocolate around for that.

    Happy birthday to your husband. And I don't like to make a huge deal about my birthday, but some acknowledgment is good.

     
  • At 11:06 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I usually stuff a bunch of little bags with rampant chocolate...and ;make spares. That way I have the small gift ready... (like rumballs, without the forethought or effort, really...)

    And I'm cheering with your inner committee. If you love someone, of course you're going to celebrate the day they were brought into the world:-)

     
  • At 5:42 AM , Blogger Norma said...

    How was the turducken?

     
  • At 8:02 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    Happy Birthday to Roxie's husband!
    My husband also insists that he doesn't care about his birthday. I still celbrate it. My son hasn't been big on his birthday since he was 19 and in basic training and he never told anyone it was his birthday. He is married to a woman who loves to celebrate so now, I guess he'd better start caring.
    My dad was the 3rd of 3 boys and born right after Christmas. He never had his own birthday cake that wasn't left over Christms cake until he married my mom and she made sure he had a cake every year and after she died I always had a cake for him.

     
  • At 9:41 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    My husband makes a big deal about my birthday but when it comes to his, he says 'it's just a day'. Mine is special because I am special. I try to apply that logic to him because he is special to me but he doesn't buy it. I celebrate it anyway and he always enjoys it but I think it would be ok if I didn't. I'm afraid if I didn't one year, he would be hurt.
    I don't keep extra gifts around, although I like the gift card idea. If someone gives me a gift, I try to accept it in the spirit it was intended and let it go.

     
  • At 6:05 PM , Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

    I love birthdays and I think mine is the most special of all - I've made it another year and believe it's a milestone worth celebrating!!
    My sister and I have have been passing a box back and forth - remember the old gold stripped Nordstrom boxes....

     
  • At 8:52 AM , Blogger Tara said...

    I love birthdays. My birthday is like a holiday during the time of year that there aren't any holidays.

    My husband downplays his birthday, but he LOVES it if I don't listen and do something special.

     
  • At 1:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Whatever he says, your DH did seem to enjoy his party. The B's came up with the imaginative guy-gift this year.
    LOTS of tryptophan in that bird - PW went straight to bed!
    Thanks so much for getting us together, and for a delectable pre-Thanksgiving feast. Tell DH he can have a birthday anytime...

     
  • At 2:40 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Happy birthday, Mr. Roxie!

    Of course I care when my birthday rolls around. There had better be cake and singing, at least by my immediate family.

    Your rum balls are fabulous. I will be jealous of whoever gets to eat them (that's not a hint, the Diet From Hell forbids many yummy things, rum balls among them).

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home