Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Is it Thursday already?

A three day weekend always throws me cock-a-hoop. I went out to get the paper at 5 this morning and saw that the neighbors had put out their recycling last night. Thank Ghu for that, because I have NO idea what day it is! Thursday is our garbage day, and if you don't have the recycling out by 8 AM, you get to keep it for another week. We already had three weeks worth stacked up, and the bins won't hold much more! So I got to do the the little dance with the front door and the two inside kittens, while hefting fourty pounds of newspapers and magazines in a bulky bin. A little cursing and stomping, a slippered foot thrust into a tiny furry face, an experienced twist of hip so that I can back out, thereby keeping an eye on the would-be exvaders, and I was safely outside. The bathrobe sleeve caught the door handle and pulled it firmly closed.

Oh, we all know that particular click that says you have locked yourself out, don't we?

Luckily, DH had not yet left, so I put the bin by the curb, walked around to the back door, and waited till I saw him walking through the kitchen, whereupon I rapped loudly on the door and called his name piteously. By the time he got to the back door, two kittens had beaten him to the threshold and were pressed eagerly against the portal, insisting on their right to egress. Having both hands free, he scooped them up, tucked both under one arm, and let me in with tender kisses. Blessings profound on that dexterous and competent man!

Dave Daniels of Cabin Cove Mercantile put a bunch of new stuff up for sale today. Wait till you see his sunrise cards! And the flower and fiber cards are worth framing. You'll adore them! He is also showing lots of his stunning handspun yarns, a bunch of his glorious hand-painted rovings, skeins and skeins of merino and nylon sock yarn in delicious colors, and two skeins of pink worsted weight wool. Hand painted pink worsted weight. Don't go looking for the worsted weight, though. It's mine now. (Picture of Roxie clutching the skeins to her bosom, rubbing her face against them while chortling and cooing, "Mine. Mine!")

I am boxing up two scarves to send to the Red Scarf Project. Knitters contribute hand knit scarves for kids who have outgrown the Children's Services Department, but have no family to care for and nurture them as they go thorough college. In February, the organization sends out Valentine care packages with red scarves and tokens of affection. I have written care instructions for my two wool scarves, and have included them here in case anyone would like to duplicate them.

HAND WASH - DRY FLAT

Ok, the easiest way to do this is to take the scarf into the shower with you, get it soaking wet, wad it up into a ball and add a squirt of shampoo. Then squish and moosh the wad of scarf until it’s sudsy all the way through. Rinse it out well, and if you want it soft against your neck, give it a squirt of conditioner. Work it through and rinse it out. When you have dried yourself off, roll the scarf into your towel, throw it on the floor and dance on it a little. Unroll the towel, spread the damp scarf out somewhere flat (on top of the book case if it’s not too dusty, or across the foot of your bed) and when it’s dry, grab it in the middle and give it a good shake to fluff it up.

This scarf was made with good wishes in every stitch. May you find many blessings in your life. Stay warm.

And so I say to you, may you find many blessings in your life. Stay warm!

9 Comments:

  • At 5:17 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    What great instructions! Young adults might actually do that. My dd (not MamaMia) had a boarder for a year who had graduated from CSD and the county paid her rent at dd's and it gave dd and dsil extra income. The boarder is doing well now, focused; it was a good program and a lot of help to the girl.
    Snuggle those adorable little baby fellines for me!

     
  • At 5:18 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    felines

     
  • At 11:30 PM , Blogger Denise said...

    Love those instructions - 'hand wash' is such a turn off for so many people, but your instructions make it fun!

    Glad you weren't locked out for long! I've had to climb onto the balcony, hurting myself in the process, to get into this place once, and hope never to have to repeat it!

     
  • At 12:13 AM , Blogger Norma said...

    I'm cracking up at your instructions. Those kids who are lucky enough to get them will go, "Who WAS this crazy-wonderful person who sent this?!"

     
  • At 3:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You really should send those care instructions to the Yarn Council. Their directions are so bland. This makes it sound fun. Almost sexy. Hey, if 2 people have scarves, can they shower them together? Oh, the possibilities!
    Yes, my apologies for "going there with that."

     
  • At 6:18 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Great instructions. Remember Mary Poppins' A Spoonful of Sugar helps the medicine go down....Well, a good dose of laughter makes every day a better one. These will be sure to help someone have a better day!

     
  • At 12:02 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    wow...locking yourself out...I HATE that... (although I hated it worse the time I did it w/5 kids--two of whom were not mine--stuck outside with me...) And good job keeping the little ones contained...

    My charity is Project Linus... but I am liking the red scarf project...that's such a nice idea as well...

     
  • At 5:36 AM , Blogger Shan said...

    I have to leave the house the exact same way. Not easy with two little ones and all the appropriate gear. Glad your husband was still home to let you in.

    Love the instructions!

     
  • At 8:33 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Love the hand washing directions!! LOL!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home