Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, June 18, 2007

at last, a FO

Ok, it takes concentration and a flat surface to properly complete the shoulder strap extension. After knitting the piece in, you then cut off a long, long piece of yarn, thread it onto a needle, and weave it into the remaining bottom row of stitches on the border. Then pick it up along the edge of the newly knitted piece, and, using the needle, weave it in at the far side, then weave it back, knit it across to the other cut edge, and repeat. If I was going to enter this in any sort of contest, or give it to anyone with discrimination and a keen eye, or even if I was working with a solid color edge, I wouldn't have considered it. But motley yarn for my own use, sure, why not?

Here is the extension. You can see where the yarn was darned in on the ends of each edge, but honestly, if someone is staring that closely at the back of my shoulder, they need to back off.
And lest I forget, the secret weapon in my arsenal of quick and dirty tricks is a simple needle and thread. I just sew back and forth, back and forth, back and forth through the knitting at the join to secure and stabilize all those loose ends.
Suitable for a thermal layer on these chilly spring days.
Trying to achieve steady-cam capabilities with the bathroom mirror.
On Friday, I didn't blog because I went over to MJ's and helped her with a scrap quilt. MJ is a precisionist, and her scrappy quilt needed a casual hand to get over a few little speed bumps. It's a lovely quilt with lots of interesting textures which tend to make the squares irregular. That bothered MJ. I know how to embrace irregularity and turn it into a design element. And I know the trick of A. standing away from the thing so you can appreciate how invisible those irregularities are, and B. snuggling close to the quilt so you can see that texture and comfort is truely more important than orthagonality. I left her doing the machine quilting on her finished quilt. I also left my sweater.
Then on Saturday, DH and I went shopping. We are trying to find a light-colored zip-front hoody that does not bear the logo of a sports team, school, tourits-trap city,or band on the front. We went to the local outlet mall (If you can consider something thirty miles away as local. We do.) We found a pair of shoes for him, a pair of shoes for me, a pair of pants for me (They're long enough!! Mommy-type elastic waist, but long enough!) with a matching sun-block hat, and finally, a zip-front hoody for him! We also got up and walked three miles before breakfast.
I started knitting on a sweater for my SIL. I made up the stripe pattern with graph paper during the last GED at the jail. Hmm am I in a color rut? No, two turquoise things in a row do not constitute a rut.
Sunday, I didn't get to the blog because we slept in, then went shopping, and when we got back, DH got to the computer first. S'all good. I have complete control of the beast till 3 this afternoon. It's mine, MINE and I can do anything I want!! Hahaaaa!
Yes, I AM easily amused. That means I am often amused and what's wrong with that?

8 Comments:

  • At 10:18 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Not a blessed thing wrong with that, darling...

    I'm LOVING that design...totally loving it... sooo cool... (A good place for stuff w/out logos on it? Target and Wal-Mart... they do plain like no-one else...) And the tank top? Pure genius...

     
  • At 11:32 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    My mil used to say, "I'm my own good company." She was easily amused by herself. And Mia says, "Sometimes I just crack myself up, I'm so funny." So, you're in good company.

     
  • At 1:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    LOVE how the colors contrast with the edging. You did a wonderful job on that!
    Will there be a coordinating hat?

     
  • At 2:06 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Ta-dah! You amaze me more every day. And what, pray tell, is wrong with knitting one blue thing after another?

     
  • At 5:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Turquoise is excellent! Soothing, tranquil, calming, gorgeous... Um. Now I'm staring at the chrysocolla and turquoise beads I got recently, and wondering about dyeing some sock yarn to match. You're evil, woman. ;)

    Btw, I left a honkin' big response about linking to your comment on my last post - I think it should do the trick. Take a gander when you get a chance!

    Meanwhile, I'm going to be catching up on your blog the next few days; looks like I'll be having fun!

     
  • At 7:34 AM , Blogger Bells said...

    how beautiful is that top?? Wow. I love the blues. Good job!

    And you sound like Sean and I rushing to have the control of the computer - and we have TWO! It's just that his is faster and better.

     
  • At 6:46 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    I'll say it again. You are an amazing, creative knitter. If I would put that vest together (which never would have occured to me in the first place) it would be crap and would have been frogged right down to the ground. You do it and I want your vest.

    And with the cool celtic-like stripe in the sweater. Lucky SIL. Mine just gets socks and occasionally hats and scarves.

    I am a blue (color blue) person and I do a lot of blue things in a row. Different shades and tones of blue, but still blue.

     
  • At 7:07 AM , Blogger Flea-Bites said...

    I love the sentiment - isn't it amazing that something so simple and so true isn't noticed until someone else points it out? A much nicer sentiment than the one that used to be bandied about when I was a youngster - "small things amuse small minds". Joy to those who are easily amused as they shall be amused often! You might have to get Lucia's hubby to do a Tshirt line!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home