Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, May 31, 2007

How to design a patchwork top


Well I had this cotton yarn that I dyed up a few years ago and no two balls match, but they all use harmonious colors. And then I got this lovely bamboo-tencell that goes with it all. So I cast on 25 stitches on my size 7 circulars and started some stockinette to see how it would look. . Then I added some garter stitch in the bamboo blend. Then I tied on a different ball of cotton. And I found it good. I finally came to my senses when I had a strip that was about 30 inches long. Hmmm - it's just about long enough to make a top that goes over the head and sews up the sides. Can I use this strip? Yep! Can I use it without sewing strips together? Yep! I picked up along the side of the striop and knit three more rows of bamboo blend garter stitch. then I cast on 25 stitches at the end in cotton, and picked up a stitch from the far end of the circular needle, kit two stitches together, turned, picked up another stitch, from the far end, and knit two more together. (Yeah, it's magic. I knitted the underarm pannel off the front and back of the circular needle so it was knit in without seams. I'll take a picture when I knit the other side to illustrate.)
When the underarm pannel was deep enough, I added three rows of garter on top and bound off all around the armhole. then I picked up bamboo blend along the other side and proceeded with three rows of garter, then cast on 25 and knit in stockinette, picking up and knitting together along the seam side as I went.
(Yes, the bottom edge looks wonky {love that word} but I'm planning a band of ribbing to moderate all cares.)
It's great fun. Since I'm working on narrow bands, it grows fast. The cotton feels nice to work on, and it's delightful to see how the colors are striping up - or not. More pictures as it grows. Now do you see what I mean when I say I think sideways?
Ok, now a question for the experts. You want a link for my book (soon to be books.) would you like a link to Amazon or to the print-on-demand publisher? I'm not sure what would be helpful.
And then some fun questions for everyone:
What is your favorite color?
What kind of music do you like?
Bath or shower?
Favorite fragrances?
Favorite fibers?
Why do I want to know? It's too close to Christmas for you to be asking so darn many questions!!

4 Comments:

  • At 1:37 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    when I bought Sanna, I got it through Border's when AARP had a deal to get a discount. Border's had to order it from your publisher. Not that that answers your question...

    favorite color: blue, cobalt blue, sky blue, ocean blue

    music: celtic, classical

    Bath

    Fragrance: lavender; actually not much else b/c John is allergic

    Fibers: to spin-wool, llama, silk; to knit- wool, llama, blends like Cashsoft; NOT mohair.

    I am just in awe of the vest. How DO you think these patterns up?

     
  • At 10:33 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    Any form, as long as I can read it in the bath.

    dark green

    bluegrass and alt country

    baths are more fun

    patchouli, cloves, and vanilla

    merino

     
  • At 12:15 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Amazon.com, definitely... nobody has heard of the print-on-demand people (I know from experience) but EVERYBODY knows if you're on Amazon, you're legit...

    and I'd love to answer the rest here...

    My favorite color right now is yellow (it may change...)
    I'm a rock'n'roll alt-rock fan
    Shower
    Chamomile and Lavender
    And wool...I've got a soft spot for Lorna's Laces and Schaeffer..

    And, damn you're right--Christmas is right around the corner...I need to remember that when I choose my 'what the hell' knitting project for summer:-)

     
  • At 4:58 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Gosh! You are so clever -- with the just casting on and next thing you know . . . something to wear!!

    Don't have a preference on the book link. As soon as I can get to Borders, if they don't have it, I'm going to order it and pester them to carry it.

    favorite color:
    blues / greens - cool colors

    music:
    new age/ bossa nova / jazz / classical

    Bath & shower: Depends on the mood and how much time I have ~ can't knit either place

    fragrances:
    hmmm - I don't wear perfume but I like citrus / mango notes in shampoo / body wash / lotion

    Fibers:
    practical ~ merino wool for soft soft socks
    impractical / practical ~ cashmere for hats & gloves those those special socks
    wildly irrational: quivit ~ I pet it every time I visit my LYS (sigh)

    Now spill, what are your preferences??

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home