Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, May 18, 2007

Houseworking day.

Thanks for your kind thoughts about the GED proctoring. Yes, after I sat and looked our chief examiner square in the eye while busily knitting a sock, AND carrying on an intelligent converstaion, I have permission to knit while proctoring. I'm making washcloths. I think I will put them together with bars of soap and donate them to the local women's shelter. Tied up with a ribbon.

The kids were a bit distracted yesterday as I tried to pull them together for their second test. So I stuck two fingers in my mouth and whistled. Not sanitary, but oh, so effective! It shocked them silent long enough for me to say, "For most of you, this is your last test. The sooner you settle down, the sooner we can finish this and send you home." Ah, short-term motivation!

So, just as I am starting to learn their names, they are out the door and I'll never see them again. Since they don't have the time to get on my last nerve, I can sincerely wish them well as they leave. Blessings on you real teachers out there. I don't know how you do it!!

Tomorrow is the ladies' knitting party. Today is the housecleaning blitz. And here is my rant about RSVPs: If you think you'd maybe like to come if nothing better turns up, don't, for the love of God tell me that. Imagine how unimportant it makes me feel. It's much kinder to say that you won't be able to make it, maybe next time, thanks.

If you just aren't getting around to making the phone call to let me know you want to come, have a little consideration and just call me now. Leave a message on the answering machine. Everyone is not-getting-around-to-it, and I am one day before the party with no idea if I will have five or twenty-five guests. Should I pull out one or two leaves on the table? How big a cloth should I put out? How many cups and saucers and plates and napkins? How much food should I prepare? And if you don't respond, but show up anyhow, don't be surprised if I have to open a package of grocerystore cookies and seat you at the corner of the table with a paper plate. I love doing these teas, but they take a lot of work and planning. Please, please, please let me know if you will be coming.

I guess this is a plea to everyone out there. If someone likes you well enough to invite you to a party, You should at least be kind enough to respond promptly and decisively. It's much kinder to say, "Thanks for thinking of me, but I'd rather not." than it is to just not respond at all.

Except for virtual parties. Virtual cookies and virtual tea are ever so much easier to produce and clean up! You are all virtually invited, and pictures will be forthcoming.

9 Comments:

  • At 8:52 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    I shall arrive virtually at the proper moment.
    Thanks, I'd love some tea and biscuits...and knitting.

    Question: what is the best writing book about preparing a book proposal?

    Go read Kristin Nicholas's rant,er, comments about book publishing and read the NYTimes article she references. It confirmed my suspisions about publishers being totally out of touch with reality (other than the reality of having $ in their pockets). www.getting-stitched-on-the-farm.blogspot.com

     
  • At 10:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey, is it any wonder I stopped entertaining years ago??
    You little (big?) get together sounds like fun, though. Take a few pics, too.

     
  • At 1:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Miss Manners would either have a hey-day with this generation or curling up in the fetal position in a soft room!!

    Have a great party - with all who come!

     
  • At 2:20 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Yeah...the RSVP--it's a dying idea, but we need to birth another one, and quick!

     
  • At 5:08 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    I too will be pleased to be virtually present. It would be nice if people RSVPed, wouldn't it? Congrats on finishing up the GED proctoring, this round, anyway.

     
  • At 5:56 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    I'll be there in spirit. I hope a great time will be had by all.

     
  • At 8:56 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    If you figure out a way to change the world and get folks to RSVP, America would be grateful to you forever. As it is, I will be happy to virtually participate. It'll be a lot more fun than being at work.

     
  • At 9:04 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Off Topic:

    I don't know if you read any agent / bookseller / publishing / writer blogs. I think about you and your book when I read some of them. I don't know if they would help or hinder in a general way as none of them are orientated toward Western-themed books. Anyway here are some the ones I peruse on a regular basis. Lots of great links in their sidebars, too.

    http://pubrants.blogspot.com/ ~ an agent blog

    http://accrispin.blogspot.com/ ~ A couple of writers have a "Writer Beware" blog

    http://pbackwriter.blogspot.com/ ~ This one has some good writers links on the sidebar near the bottom

    http://www.romancingtheblog.com/blog/ ~ This one has some interesting Industry Blogs on the right sidebar.

     
  • At 2:49 AM , Blogger Janette said...

    I'm so sorry that people are so rude Roxie. I only wish I lived closer, as I would be there every time.

    So I'm sending my rsvp apology, as I missed my flight and will not be able to attend once again. xx

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home