Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, February 09, 2007

This will be a sweater!


There is great yardage in Dave's yarn! I am halfway through the back, and I've scarcely made a dent in the balls.(dented balls? Owwwie!) There clearly will be yarn enough for sleeves, and I am trying to design pockets as well. I LOVE pockets! We watched the first episode of "Survivor" last night, so I got in extra knitting time.
My blogging and knitting will soon be sharply curtailed. One of the full-time gals at work has been hospitalized, and I am going to be filling in for half her shift. 10 - 2, the busiest part of the workday. So I have to squeeze the writing into the morning, because my brain is just flat by the time I get home from four hours of dealing with the naive, the clueless, and the outright cheaters.
Yesterday, as I was dropping off the GEDs from the jail, one young man came out and asked, "Can I go take a leak?"
"You're doing an on-line midterm?" I asked.
He nodded.
"OK, I'll let the teacher know that you left the room to go to the bathroom."
"But it's a three hour test!"he complained.
"Yes?" I said.
"I'm gonna pee my pants!"He said
"Go on and go to the bathroom. I'll let the teacher know that you left the room for that purpose."I said.
"Oh, fuck it!" He said, and went back in to take his test.
Do you think I'm a bad person? I don't. He did.
Thus we learn that coffee processes through the system at a predictable rate, and if you are going to take a three hour test, you should drain the tanks before starting. If he were really cunning, he might have realized that we can't keep track of EVERYBODY taking on-line tests during mid-terms. He COULD have just walked out for his whizz (or his quick phone call to the wizzard he buys answers from), and we would never have known. The fact that he didn't want the teacher to know that he left the room made me suspicious. So now I get to do this for four hours a day, five days a week. With respect and kindness for all. Wish me luck!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 9:44 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    Ah yes, the clueless and not so bright and downright naughty. DD Deb works in a middle school in Fresno as the teacher of the classroom where the "bad kids" go to wait for a ride home when they're suspended or expelled or where they do in school suspension. Oh the stories she can tell...
    About argyle--the best thing I learned was how to do the duplicate stitch so I don't have to carry the two or four extra bobbins along.
    Thanks for the pattern. I hope I get to it this weekend, but with Dan coming to town, a wedding reception and a coffee meeting, well, we'll see.

     
  • At 12:13 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    The sweater will be gorgeous! That Dave is so clever -- much more so than a kid who doesn't seem to realize that if the proctor has gray hair that doesn't mean she's easily fooled, it means she's seen everything.

     
  • At 8:40 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Those colors are totally calling to me... and your conversation...OMG--that's how I spent my 2nd period--except without the actual threat of big scary guy getting in my face...my God--how do you convince someone that their 1st step towards being a higher level human is controlling their lower level animal?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home