Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, February 05, 2007

omigawd no!


Good heavens' people! I did NOT use real eyes. Eeeewww! Too grosssssss! I used the plastic eyes that taxidermists put into stuffed animals. Like the ones pictured here - see? [ I may use these to make a hat with eyes in the back of my head.] And the farceeing hat was bespoke by my friend Tim, who provide the plastic fake eyes. (Not real. NOT!) Tim is the artistic sort who will find innumerable opportunities to wear his hat. I think vision, and looking at things from a different perspective is important to Tim. He has a tattoo of "She who Watches."
Today is warm (41 degrees) and cloudy. "And the small birds maken music all the daye" In the front yard, chickadees and sparrows are staking out territory and hollaring, "Hey, baybee! Hey, baybee!" to all the girls sparrows and chickadees. And in the back yard, finches are have a great big par-tay! My daffodils are up a good six inches in the back yard, and buds are beginning to show. And my daphne bush is ready to burst into bloom any minute now. I love that bush. DH gave it to me for a present the first year we were married. It is close to the leaky front window which keeps it warm all winter long. The thing is huge, and blooms for about two months as the weather slowly warms. The fragrance is to die of in aromatic bliss. I am SO ready for spring. What a strange winter it has been!
I wound Dave's yarn into balls and am squinting at the basket and planning while I knit a plain vanilla hat. OK, so it's three shades of fine green yarn, a boucle and two weaving wools, all plied together, and I'm making it a square beret, but really, nothing fancy. Photos soon.
What will I NOT do to impress you?Use real eyes in a hat. Nor will I do Lace. Or meticulous precision fitting. Following a written pattern word for word, color for color, yarn for yarn, inch for inch? Noooooooooo!!!! (picture of Roxie running screaming off into the woods.)

5 Comments:

  • At 10:46 AM , Blogger margene said...

    Please, please stop bragging about your weather! We are a month away from daffodils (we'd even like more snow). I have heard a few birds starting to holler, however.

     
  • At 10:57 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Well, what do we know, we who glory in utter ignorance of taxidermy? Although now I think of it, of course they couldn't use real eyes, they'd rot. (Yuck.)

    I can't follow a pattern either, but you don't do lace? At all? How did I miss that?

    My verification string is pbdpqxlx, which sounds to me like ducks dabbling and squabbling -- or maybe I'm just missing summer evenings by the lake. Winter can't last forever, can it?

     
  • At 11:46 AM , Blogger Pat K said...

    Now, let's think about this. Roxie talks about boar's eyes in a hat and EVERYONE automatically thinks that they're real. Now Roxie, my girl, it seems every thinks you are capable of wearing them. So, why not?? ;-)

     
  • At 3:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have to tell you how hard I've been laughing, I was CHOKING! I saw the picture and the titel of the post, and thought you ended up with a Cyclops Hat! Bwahahahahaha
    Taxidermy, I know of such things from my younger days. They have cool supplies.

     
  • At 9:01 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    I'm reading your blog, and I'm laughing. I show John your hat and say, "Only Roxie..." My cousin is here (75 yo farmer from Iowa) and he tells me, the eyes are glass, the best ones come from Germany. He has a friend who is a taxidermist and is the guy who refurbishes the "mantles" on mounted animals and is the guy who does the work on this famous really big award winning for its size killed in 1912 deer head...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home