Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

does this look like spring to you?


Yes, there are crocuses blooming at work. Lovely purple crocuses against wet concrete. Somehow, it does not evoke poetry in my soul. Of course, when I took this picture, it was raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock, so that may have
dampened my outlook a bit. Still, it's all that rain that keeps this valley so green. And all that cloud cover that keeps us natives so fungoidally pale. Keep posting those sunny pictures, friends. I love them!

By the by, check out
www.flea-bites.blogspot.com Gramdma Flea lives in rural Australia and has lorikeets the way we have starlings. WOW!

I now know that on days when I have no knitting content to display, I can always dig into the linen drawer and take a picture of a dresser scarf to feed Pat K.'s fancy. But I wonder, Pat, will a card-table cloth meet the need? How about those embroidered table-centerpieces that my Aunt and Grandma turned out? Dishtowels and handtowels? Or is it just dresser scarves, only dresser scarves, all dresser scarves all the time?







Here's a close-up of the primary motif. All cross-stitch and joyous colors. Some lady in the fourties or fifties spent many a meditative hour on this cloth. I hope she got as much pleasure from it as I do. When the ladies come for tea and knitting, I turn it corner-wise across the pink cloth on the dining-room table, and get out the pink and red tea-cups. (I collect cups and saucers. Another of my many addictions.)


It continues to rain like that cow. And the weather man threatens snow in the hills - where I have to go to work today. No snow! No snow! I must do my anti snow dance and who cares what the neighbors think. No Snow!!

6 Comments:

  • At 10:42 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    You have crocuses and are still not satisfied? Such a complainer. Do we get video of the anti-snow dance?

     
  • At 2:09 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Roxie,
    I'll take my camera to the beach today and snap a couple of sunny photos for you.
    In the summer, I'll be wishing for a little respite from the heat and you can post lovely snaps of Pacific Northwest forests for me.
    Doing my no snow dance here for you,
    Willow

     
  • At 8:51 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Or you could always stop giving that damned cow coffee... (lovely linens!)

     
  • At 9:53 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    Vintage embroidery, dear enabler Roxie, if you wish to feed me pictures -- I simply love vintage embroidery. Any of it's fine. And it's because it reminds me of my maternal grandmother, who embroidered dresser scarves. (I have ONE of all the ones she worked on. And I cherish it.)

     
  • At 7:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love crocuses. I wonder if mine will bloom this spring, because they came up during our unseasonably warm November.

     
  • At 4:25 PM , Blogger Flea-Bites said...

    My childhood memories have embroidered cloths with little mexican men in sombreros dozing up against cacti. I guess in Mexico, people have memories of cloths with didgeridoos on them! Another cloth had blue morning glories on it - they are now a declared noxious weed out here. I don't know what happened to Mum's embroidery - I guess the miacle one tub hoovermatic washing machine ate them.
    Send a few of your incontinent cows over here, please. It's been raining on and off for a few days now, but our dams still need the water or we'll be on Stage 4 water restrictions (no hose use at all). (By the way, despite the bushy setting and all the wildlife, we live in the 'burbs of Sydney - 30 minutes by car and 45 by sloooow train to the Opera House.)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home