Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Best laid plans

I had a haircut scheduled for Tueday the 31st (Downtown on Halloween? What fun!)Then work called and they need me to come in on the 30th and 31st. So I called the hairdresser and asked to reschedule. "Well," the young lady laughed, "we could get you in at 11 today." "It's 10:30 now? I'll be there!" I scuffed on my shoes, and in jeans and sweatshirt, with no makeup, I bolted out the door. I made it with enough time to stop at the Pearl Bakery for a sinfully rich almond croissant and a cup of British Breakfast tea with a shot of hazlenut syrup. Ahhh, life is GOOD! My hardresser is a genius with my wavey grey locks. There was enough hair on the floor to build a small poodle, and I now have a piquant, elfin cut that hugs my head and makes me look five years younger and ten pounds thinner.

I nobly resisted the urge to shop since I was downtown, and drove myself home for lunch. And then, fool that I am, I rewarded my self-control by pulling out Amy Lane's second book, Wounded, and settled down for lunch. I should know better. I was totally transported by the first book, so why should I think the second would be easier to slip in and out of? I dropped right into her world and continued sitting at the table on that darn hard chair for FOUR MORE HOURS. I don't usually go for paranormal, babes and vampires and modern-day elves fantasy, but this is so vivid and engaging that I really can't put it down!

All of this pretty well shot my chances at getting in a thousand word on the novel. Today, I have Chrysalis, our weekly writer's group, so again, a thousand words is out. But I did get the hat for Miz G. finished. And to go with it I started on, not a scarf, but a neck gaiter, to keep out the wicked winds. But the hat needs some embellishments. A ribbon cockade? A tassel? A decorative button? Hmmmm. Oh, for a camera!

Now, since I will be on campus for Halloween, what costume should I wear? Last year I wore a tricorne hat, black slacks and vest, and a white t-shirt with the word "Enron" on the front. I was a really scarey pirate. Half the kids didn't get it.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:30 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Just pin a "Pagans for Bush" button on your lapel. That'll scare everybody.

     
  • At 11:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I can't believe you sat and read for four hours! That must be some book.
    So, do we get to see a photo of the new locks? Oh, right, no camera...

     
  • At 3:53 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Wow! I'm sooooooooooooo flattered! I can't tell you how much it pleases me that you like my writing:-) (And, considering the content of WOUNDED, that "Pagans for Bush" pin is right on the money for me too!) Just sos you knows...there is a teaser for BOUND in my blog-- I think it's under October, and the title is "A Thtuck Foose"--we're shooting the cover for the book this weekend, and I'm pretty sure we're starting the publishing process in early November...January/February, here we come:-)

     
  • At 9:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Roxie, point me/us to instructions for a neck gaiter -- sounds like what we need! P.S. Great poem in the entry one up.
    Love ya --

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home