Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Mad with joy

I got an e-mail yesterday from the publishers of my book:

Dear Roxanna,
I wanted to take this opportunity to let you know your book is now available for purchase on the AuthorHouse Web site: http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=38815! It will also be available for sale through thousands of retailers nationwide soon!

SQEEEEEEEEE! NO, they are not killing pigs out here. I am just so excited I could plotz!

The book, Sanna, Sorceress Apprentice is about a 15 year-old daughter of a race horse trainer who leaves her rustic mountain village to attend the Thon Academy of Higher Magic for Young Ladies of Exceptional Talent. Sanna has a Talent for the fiber arts. She knits waterproof hats, and can embroider a shirt that will make the wearer invisible. She also uses her Gift for fibers in healing, to knit broken bones, and darn torn flesh. But she has trouble fitting in with her schoolmates. The dainty city girls don't appreciate her rough and ready ways.

Sanna angers a renegade wizard who swears revenge. She and her madcap bunkmate, a professional thief, rescue a disguised handsome prince from a fate worse than death. He and Sanna fall in love at first sight, touch, kiss. But a Sorceress must devote her full attention and energy to her craft. Will Sanna choose love or magic?

Anne McCaffrey (Dragon Riders of Pern series) read Sanna and said, "That's a good book you've written . . . funny, well paced, good characters and situations. I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend it."

My agent, Barbara Bova, shopped it around to the big publishing houses. They all agreed it was a sweet romp and lots of fun, but not nearly "dark" enough for today's young adult audience. No despair, no earth-shattering crisis, no joy-sucking malevolence. Well, I don't want to put any of that energy into the world, so I choose not to re-write the book to be "darker." Instead, I am self publishing.

So if you would like a light, fun read, or know a young person who might, check it out. If you're not sure, ask, and I will e-mail you a chapter. If you order it from Author House, it's only $9.95 plus shipping and handling. If you order it from Barnes and Noble, it will be $15.

Oh, and it includes a pattern for self-heating mittens. If you have a Talent for knitting, you might be able to cozy up the world!

4 Comments:

  • At 8:32 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Congrats!!! Will B&N have it in their stores or just online? I will definitely buy a copy, but I am cheap. If I buy it in person I can use Grant's B&N discount and not have to pay for s&h.

     
  • At 3:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Congrats!

    I can't wait to read it.

     
  • At 4:30 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Squeee!! I'm excited for you--I've don't the self publishing thing and it's incredibly exciting...(doesn't mean I'm not shopping for an agent, but hey, a girl can dream about writing for a living...) I'll check out your book, it looks like something my daughter might like...and you've gotten a quote from Anne McCaffrey--did you get to kiss her ring? Does she have a rainbow aura? Inquiring minds want to know... Thanks so much for commenting on my blog--It was a lot of fun to visit yours--I'll make it a point to return (at least until school starts when I'll probably drop off the face of the blogosphere...but I'll be thinking of you:-)!!!!

     
  • At 8:58 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    Good for you, not putting more "dark stuff" in the world. How exciting all this is! I'm glad you are letting us all share in it vicariously.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home