Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, July 10, 2006

Give piecing a chance

The quilt top has a mind of its own, and fought with me until I gave in and let it have its way. And it is turning out better than I could have imagined. I learn fast, so, after pulling five 6inch seams out and rearranging the pieces, I went with the flow and all the rest is going slicker than . . . Slicker than . .

This is a conundrum that has long plagued me. What's vivid metaphor for slickness that is neither offensive nor disgusting? Slick as silk? Tussah silk isn't slick, nor is noil. Slick as glass? Boring. Slick as Bill Clinton? Ehhhh - - slicker than, . . . slicker than . . . a buttered baby? Hey, I'm open to suggestions.

Anyhooo, the quilt top is scant hours away from completion. I have a 50%off coupon for the 16th. Think I'll get that furry fleece stuff for backing. The quilt is going to live in Bend, Oregon, so every extra bit of warmth is a good thing. And Miz G.'s kitties should love the fur!

Went to see Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest and took sweater for Romania. Nice grey-blue moth-proofed wool from the fifties. This should be a good sweater.

And the movie was GRAND fun! Johnny Depp remains as charming as Pepe LePew, and as raddled as Keith Richards. Anyone else interested in costuming? I want to watch the film again just to study the costumes and makeup for Davey Jones's crew. Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me!

3 Comments:

  • At 2:18 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Slicker than... black ice, Prudhoe Bay, a snake-oil salesman, a greased pig. None of those is quite vivid enough, though, somehow. I'll keep working on it.

     
  • At 6:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    "Slicker than a hot dog with no mustard."

    That's direct from the Beastie Boys. I'm sure you can figger out the implication.

    You asked for it!

     
  • At 6:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey, can you give me a 'parental review' of the dead man's chest?
    I want to take my boys 10 and 8 yrs old. They saw the first one but I guess I want to be sure there's not a lot of foul stuff that will rot their tiny minds.
    We rented beetlejuice last weekend and I forgot it has the 'f' word in it and other lude suggestive stuff. OOps. Hopefully they don't go off repeating it! You just never know.
    Thanks!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home