Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, March 09, 2014

March tea time

 The ladies came over for tea on Saturday.  I do wish you could have joined us.  We had carrot cake with pineapple and coconut, shortbread cookies with passionfruit puree, ginger cookies, oatmeal cookies, roast chicken wings, and grapes.  I had such fun setting the table in spring colors.

It was a a wonderful day. I got caught by the sunrise and watched, rapt, for about twenty minutes.  It should have had musical accompaniments - great, rich, swelling chords from the strings, glorious fanfares from the brass.  It was stunning.  Pity the camera doesn't capture what the eye beholds.

Then I got to work plating goodies and making the coffee and tea.  I set the table and cleaned house on Thursday, enjoyed baking frenzy on Friday, so that on Saturday I have time to enjoy my friends.  Saturday afternoon I clean up, and Sunday I put things away.  I have this down to a science.
I expected twenty guests, and my table seats twelve if we squeeze in, so I set up an auxiliary section in the living room.   Last month, I expected twelve and got 14.  This month, eleven people actually showed.  I baked two cakes!  Well, one was eaten entirely, and Kyle will take the spare to work, so it won't go to waste.


I had such fun putting together placemats, napkins, napkin rings and china. Mix and match is a great sport.

The tea cozies added their own cheerful  note, and who doesn't love a nice bowl of grapes?.
Carrot cake above the roasted chicken wings.  The chicken wings went over well, too. I'm always at a loss for what to serve as a savory, and this was a happy solution.
My violets are blooming, so the little vase-napkin rings got a good workout .  And Lindor balls scattered about quite happily.  Who likes white, who likes dark and who prefers milk chocolate?
Janette sent me a jaciva birthday cake with a bouquet of live flowers on top.  The cake was gone in two days, but the flowers lasted and lasted.  Orchids and white roses enhanced my decor.












Meanwhile, I continue the knitting - or in this case, crochet.  I adapted the dead fish hat for the crocodile stitch which makes fun fishy scales.  It doesn't make it a warm hat, but it is pretty, and great to use up leftover yarn.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home