Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, September 23, 2013

Summer done be GONE

Or as kermit said, when the truck ran over his bicycle, "I was nearly gone with the Schwinn."

Our first fall storm blew in with a vengeance this weekend.  Kyle and I wanted to attend the Volkswalk in Scappoose, Oregon, held in conjunction with the Sauerkraut Festival, so we got out early and drove north along the Columbia to scenic Scappoose.  We got in our six kilometers under cloudy skies, wandered through the festival, hit the farmer's market (he bought me a beautiful bouquet of dahlias and two boxes of figs) and about ten minutes after we got in the car to drive home, the heavens parted and the rain came bucketing down.  It rained like a cow peeing on a flat rock for most of the rest of the day.

The next day, I had arranged to go to the Rennisance Festival with Rose.  It was still raining.  We went anyway.  There were very, very few attendees.  Cold wind and steady fine rain dampened the spirits.  Occasionally, the fine rain would grow to heavy squalls.  The poor festival folk were so blue!  Entertainers performing to scant audiences, food booths with gaily bedecked attendants, draped in blankets and gloomy faces, staring out at the muddy, empty paths.  Jewelry stalls all selling the same ear wraps, all staffed by juniors surreptitiously texting on their cell phones.  Rose took lots of pictures, but it wasn't the sort of jolly event we had expected.  Still, Rose makes it a good time anyway.  She has such an upbeat personality.  She got a henna tattoo, and the lady doing the work mentioned that the small  pavilions scattered around had been created for "The Chronicles of Narnia," movie.  What fun!  They were very pretty, about 8 feet in diameter, and would have made delightful little booths for merchants on a warm, dry day.  In the autumn rain, stuffed with bored, cold, depressed festival people, they were little clusters of sighs.  I hope the festival comes again next year.  A nice day would make such a difference!

It made me think about medieval fairs and festivals, and what life was like for them when it rained.  I am such a wuss!  Most of life in those days would have been cold, wet and miserable.  I'm SO glad I live here and now!!

I have, according to doctor's orders, gradually cut my Prednisone dosage down from 80 mg to 20.  in two more weeks, I should be off it all together.  And my weight loss is slowing down.  I think there's a connection.  In fact, even though I got lots of exercise this week and stuck to the Weight Watcher's plan faithfully, I gained .8 pounds this week.  Oh well, it evens out in the end.  That's what I get for publicly bragging that I have lost 20 pounds.  It's ok to be pleased and proud of my success, but it's evidently not ok to talk about it.  But - but, I can get into my jeans again!

6 Comments:

  • At 7:56 PM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    A sauerkraut festival? That's so cool! I've never heard of that but it sounds yummy! Did they have lots of different German foods served with Sauerkraut and beer too?

    A rainy weekend sounds like such a treat for us since it's been so dry for so long. But, it sounds like it wasn't so good for those fun events. That's great that you stuck it out and stayed anyway. You're obviously not a wimp like most Southern Californians. lol

    Congrats on the weight loss. I was on some meds/hormones by doctors orders this last year and I think it must have helped with my weight loss too. I ended up losing so much that I went below my goal. Hoping it lasts now that I'm no longer taking the hormones.

     
  • At 5:06 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    What a shame for the festival planners! All the work that goes into those only to get a rainy day.

    I often think how glad I am to live in this day and age. The creature comforts we enjoy each day are enough to make me not want to take part in time travel!

     
  • At 5:09 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    I always thank my lucky self when I walk over to the thermostat and turn it on. We live in a wonderful time.

     
  • At 9:00 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    I think I visited my brother in Oregon at just the right time--before the rains started. I hope the prednisone wasn't the cause of the weight loss so you can keep losing (if you want to).

     
  • At 10:27 AM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I had fun despite the rain. Thank you so much for taking me to the festival. My henna tattoo still looks great!!!

     
  • At 7:45 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    What a hard way to lose weight, though. Is your vision better?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home