Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, April 01, 2013

Finished objects

After Easter, if I notice the egg dye kits on sale at the grocery store, I pick them up and dye some of the white yarns I pick up at estate sales. Egg dye makes a great dye for wool.  I mixed up green, blue and yellow in various concentrations, tied some skeins in random places to throw in some white spots, arranged the dye cups in the microwave and draped the yarn in and out of the cups, then nuked everything on high for five minutes.  This is yarn I did last year.  A little contrast blue yarn and E. Zimmerman's "Baby Surprise Jacket" pattern, et voila - another goodie for the Medical Team International basket.

DH, bless his heart, bought his mom a computer. She took classes at the Senior Center.   He has been trying to trouble shoot from a thousand miles away, and finally gave up last night and agreed to just look up a crochet pattern for her.  You haven't lived until you have heard a machinist trying to read a crochet pattern to his mom over the phone!
Also for Med Teams International is a pink quilt with happy leftovers.  Random scrappy quilts are lots of fun.

We went for a lovely walk on the riverfront esplanade yesterday.  Lots of families out, enjoying the mild weather.  Lots of families on bikes.  My favorite was mom on the first bike, with infant strapped into a seat in front of her.  Then dad on the second bike with the little-kid-tandem-attachment behind him, and the four-year old lad, riding serenely along, index finger up to the first knuckle in each nostril, and a look of zen-like beatitude on his face.

There is a company that rents pedal powered surreys -- little carts with bench seats.  We passed several families packed into those things.  Dad and eldest son usually supplying the motive power, momma, grandma, grandpa, and three or four little kids crammed into the other two benches.  Dad and eldest son sweating like ponies, and everyone else having a lovely time.  Except the one that had a couple of teen-aged uncles with about eleven young cousins nearly spilling out the sides.  The kids were looking pouty because the uncles were taking their time, enjoying the young ladies in short skirts and summer dresses strolling along in the sunshine, or playing frisbee in the grass, or walking their fluffy little dogs.  Oh, the uncles were really savoring the scenery.

8 Comments:

  • At 10:09 AM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    I love the baby jacket. I didn't know egg dye would work on wool. I could have used that a few years ago, thanks for the info.

     
  • At 8:26 PM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    The colors in the yarn you used for the baby jacket turned out great! Wow! And, the baby jacket is adorable!

    We used to ride our bikes a lot with one of those attachments for our daughter when she was little. She loved it. And, it was so cute to watch her little legs spinning the pedals around.

     
  • At 9:06 PM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    Hi, Roxie. It's me again! When you get a chance, pop on over to my blog because you're the new winner of my March give-away! Here's a link... http://acorntooak.blogspot.com/2013/04/new-winner.html

     
  • At 10:35 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I can almost picture the 3 stooges and the Marx brothers in those pedal surreys. LOL
    I never would have thought you could use Easter egg dyes for that!

     
  • At 4:52 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I have some neon colored rovings that are the result of some Easter egg dying kit experiments a few years ago. I'm not sure what kind of yarn they will make but it will be bright and colorful.

    It's almost time to get out the bike and clean off the seats and fluff up the streamers and make sure the bell works.

     
  • At 4:58 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I'd pay a dollar to listen to DH reading a pattern to his mom! I'll bet it was a hoot!

     
  • At 2:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Egg Dye for dying yarn = genius!

     
  • At 4:59 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    EZ Baby Surprise Jacket love coming from here. I was just thinking about that knit last night!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home