Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, March 24, 2013

What have I been up to?



Well, about a year ago I made this mitered square tea cozy out of some handspun yarn I had. And it was nice, but not really thick enough.  So I took some more of my handspun and knitted a lining.  I tied the two layers together but didn't trim the knots close enough yet, so the brown side looks unfinished.  But that is one majorly warm and thick tea cozy!  It keeps my farmhouse pot warm for hours and hours!



On Saturday, DH and I took a volkswalk around an interesting part of town we're not familiar with.  It's called Swan Island (for those of you who know Portland.) It's home to docks and shipyards, warehouses, a Daimler Truck plant, and about thirty years ago, a group of remarkably stupid developers from California built a beautiful outdoor shopping mall.  The wind whips between the buildings, pelting you with rain and airborne trash, and They have simply been unable to keep ANY shops open.  But - (this is a big but) they also built a lovely path alongside the river, and that 1 kilometer peek over the river at work, with ships and geese and fishermen in kayaks, dogs running with their frisbees on the beach, and one male hummingbird perched on top of a bare bush, surveying his domain, was so magic that it made the 4 K of warehouses worthwhile.

Then we drove across the river and had lunch at Kornblatts Deli.  I was driving and not paying as much attention as I should, so when I found a parking space, I grabbed it.  It was about ten blocks away from our destination.  Oh well - what's a few more steps?  Then, after lunch, we went to Powell's Bookstore.  Again, I parked - well - about ten blocks away.  We wound up walking over 15 thousand steps on Saturday.

Then Sunday, we drove out the lovely Yamhill Valley to the small town of Amity for the Daffodil Festival!
Spring is creeping in.  Grass is greening.  Trees are budding.  Birds are yelling their little hearts out.  And daffodils are starting to do their thing.    I was sort of expecting to see fields and fields of yellow blossoms, but the valley is so good for wine that the farmers are going for the more financially appealing option, and we saw fields and fields, and fields of grapes!  And in the spring, grapes are pretty underwhelming.

At daffodil hill,though, they still had the blossoms in bloom.  This house has the most astounding views.  You can see about twenty miles in every direction and the house is just bathed in light.

This house was the end point for the five Kilometer walk.  Then a school bus would pick people up and take them back to the school.  If you wanted, you could turn around and walk five kilometers back.  Or, you could gird your loins and walk five more kilometers out into the country to the Birgintine Monastary where they make and sell the most amazing fudge.  It was a glorious walk, but it totally took the starch out of me, and the girding just about dropped off my loins altogether.  I was so glad to see the school bus that also came out there to pick us up.  DH bought orange fudge.  I bought cherry fudge.  I've been too tired to open the box.  My feet and knees are sore, but it was worth it!





8 Comments:

  • At 7:12 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I've done that walk up to Daffodil Hill when we lived in Ory-gun. Good memories.

     
  • At 8:43 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    What a wonderful way to spend the afternoon.

     
  • At 9:03 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    You certainly had LOTS of energy! I spent the weekend being frustrated over house work and such and preparing for taxes. I dug through lots of files, shredded lots of papers, and never did find some of the items I was seeking. AAAUUUGGGHHH!!!

     
  • At 4:43 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    What is this Spring you speak of? It's snowed most every day here since the 20th of March (the supposed first day of this Spring thing). In fact, it's snowing right now.

    Our daffodils have just about opened. They are shy (probably don't want to see the snow) this year.

     
  • At 6:49 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    10K? I hurt after 3K.

     
  • At 11:33 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Wow! Look at all that green!!! Here, we are white, and I can't wait for the green to arrive.

     
  • At 6:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Looks like beautiful scenery. All we have here is the white stuff. (I've been reading your blogs, found you from Beckyknitstoo) and your walk sounded wonderful!

     
  • At 9:18 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    Someday when I don't have to work anymore I'm going to live near you. Please be alive for a long time.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home