Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

News

Life has been moving very fast lately.  DH has not been happy at work, and the back-breaking straw was dropped last week.  He will be retiring on March 21st.  To celebrate his freedom, he has booked us for a trans-pacific cruise, from Sydney to Seattle.  We will leave on the 9th of April!

I fully endorse his actions.  My internal committee has a dour, tightfisted character that is screaming, "No!  This is reckless.  This is madness.  He needs to put up with the employee abuse till he's 65 and can retire with full benefits."  Then everyone else in the committee knocks the tight fist down and sits on him till he shuts up.  Because DH does NOT have to put up with ingratitude and abuse! (You know how it is.  A company-wide emergency comes up and you manage, just barely to walk on water, and the next thing you know, they want you to trot across the lake and fetch another 6 pack.) We'll manage retirement just fine, thank you!  We are adaptable and inventive and we can cope.

The cruise is a terrific deal.  Ever since the Carnival  disaster, all the cruise lines are hurting for bookings.  People are canceling in droves.  So we can get 23 days of cruise-ship comfort, and an awesome adventure, for about $90 each a day.  That includes food, room service, a plush room, entertainment, and stops in places like Fiji, Samoa, Nawiliwili, and Hawaii.  Life is uncertain.  Use the good china!  Wear that silk nighty.  Eat dessert first.

I wish we could spend more time in Australia.  We will arrive in Sydney on the morning of the 11th (losing a day when we cross the International Date Line) and the ship departs on the 13th.  DH doesn't like to leave things unfinished, so we will not leave till all the retirement paperwork has been processed.

I am spending a lot of time turning in circles, not knowing what to start first.  Pack? Plan the travel knitting? Sew? Write? What comes first?  I think I'll grab a little snack while I figure that out.  And then, I'll play a little solitaire while I eat my snack.  And then, where in hell has the day gone?

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could somehow sculpt our backsides overnight to fit the airline seats?  I'm going to be packing myself into Quantas Coach for 14 hours.

Add to the to do list: Go to the doctor and get sleeping pills. Carry on wool shawl and ear-plugs.  Wear silk pants and shirt.  Carry on a change of underwear.  Make that two changes, just in case.  Carry trail mix just in case.  Carry bandaids, aspirin and antacids, just in case.  Make sure to pack a second suitcase inside the primary suitcase so you have something to carry the souvenirs in.  Make pompom for back-up suitcase to make it easy to find on the luggage belt. (I tie yarn pompoms to our suitcases.  It distinguishes our black roller bag from all the other black roller bags.)  Tell the credit card companies we will be in Australia.  Pack knitting.  Pack back-up knitting. Load a bunch of books on the cell phone and make sure the charger is in the carryon so I can listen to books.  Carry on the lap-top so I can write. (there will be many days at sea.)  Make sure we have enough prescription medications.

First thing to do.  Make a list.

11 Comments:

  • At 9:06 AM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    So sorry to hear the troubles your husband is having with his job. That sucks! Glad he figured out the answer and that retiring early will work out just fine.

    Sounds like you've got the whole traveling thing figured out very well. I made mental note of some of your great ideas...like packing a suitcase in a suitcase to bring extra stuff home. That's genius!

    Happy retirement and have a wonderful time on your trip. I'll look forward to your pictures and stories.

     
  • At 10:20 AM , Blogger Rose L said...

    For years I have always had homemade pompoms on my luggage as well!! Bright light purple ones to spot right away. I hope you have a lot of fun and relaxation on the cruise!

     
  • At 4:27 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    Yea for your DH. I walked in on a Wednesday and asked what they needed for me to retire. They said two weeks notice. I said, I was thinking more like Friday. I have not regretted it. It will be OK. What a wonderful way to celebrate.

     
  • At 6:19 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I understand the frustration. I'm sure you two will thrive however things work out.
    Enjoy the celebration!

     
  • At 9:58 PM , Blogger Rose Red said...

    The cruise sounds fantastic! And very reasonably priced! Don't worry, the flight will be over before you know it.

    Sorry about your husband's job, but it sounds like the right decision.

     
  • At 4:58 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    It's been my experience that once you walk on water and save the day that you become Mighty Mouse and are expected to rush in and Save The Day again and again (with no thanks or reward for doing so). A person can only take that for so long before his soul becomes crushed.

    I think your cruise idea is the perfect way to kick off the next stage of your lives together!

     
  • At 5:05 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Go DH!!!

    What a wonderful gift to yourselves. Take lots of pictures.

     
  • At 5:10 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Congratulations!!! Take retirement by the horns and ride it for all it's worth!

    What an exciting trip and what a great way to celebrate freedom.

     
  • At 5:37 AM , Anonymous Janette said...

    A list is good!

     
  • At 4:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well crap! I'm sorry that Kyle has to put up with juvenile, ungrateful behavior by his co-workers. The trip sounds lovely, but will you have enough yarn?

     
  • At 5:18 PM , Anonymous HelenR said...

    Have a great trip and you know that you will be able to buy yarn in Sydney. Try http://morrisandsons.com.au/c1/
    they're at 50 York St Sydney, heart of downtown. I live in Melbourne 500 miles away but ask me how I know

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home