Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Neither fish nor fowl

We are sort of floating between.  Today is DH's last day of work, but there will be at least a week until he's fully retired.  He has had "Short-timer's" syndrome, and been thinking about things to do when he's off the leash.  But we're not there yet.  We will be taking that big cruise in 3 weeks and I'm mostly packed already, but then what will we do in the meantime?

I have my routines and things to do during the week.  How are we going to synch that with the things he wants to do?  And how about the things < I > want him to do?  There's a garage that hasn't been cleaned for more than 18 years.  God KNOWS what has accreted in the corners.  And it's got to be a joint undertaking.  His tools, my papers, his toys, my stash, our photo albums, our bicycles, . . .

Oh, and how about the things < HE > wants < ME > to do?  I should get more timely with the laundry? The dishes?  The litter boxes?  Unfortunately, we both have the sense that there's all the time in the world.  We can do it later.  So it never gets done.  Well, we are cheerful, appreciative and adaptable people, so this will get worked out.  Before I know it, we'll be ticking along like clockwork.  Maybe we could even take a photography class together.  Neither one of us has a gift for gardening, and he's king of the kitchen so we won't be cooking together.  But photography could be a great shared hobby and will fit in wonderfully with out traveling urges.

And we will be doing a lot more walking.  Yay for us!

8 Comments:

  • At 2:48 PM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    You'll be fine!

     
  • At 5:04 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    Photography is a great hobby to share. Just get good camera gear. Taking classes together should be lots of fun.

     
  • At 5:15 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    The sooner you get it all sorted out time-wise, the happier you both will be. Having experienced the 'retirement thing' before, hubby and I both know that we need to do some things apart and some things together. We both need 'downtime' and give each other that.

     
  • At 10:31 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I am sure you will find some interesting things to do together, but do remember that your time apart also is good for the relationship.
    If the two of you enjoy unique experiences, maybe you can go to a civil war reenactment, Indian powwow, multicultural events of all sorts. You can dig out the 2013 calendar, go online and search events in Oregon, Washington, N. California and such and plan away!!!! Boy, you will have fun!

     
  • At 5:48 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I look forward to figuring that out. I always figured I'd do some sort of volunteer work part time-like teaching someone to read or something. However after being in Human Services all these years, maybe I won't want to do anything with people.....

    Thank goodness for hobbies which will keep us both busy.

     
  • At 6:39 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Finding something you two can do together would be awesome! Scott and I go out to do "photo shoots" all the time and it is so interesting what two people see in the same place. You two will have fun!

     
  • At 9:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm excited for you two to begin this next chapter of your lives together. It will be an adventure of epic proportions!

     
  • At 9:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm excited for you two to begin this next chapter of your lives together. It will be an adventure of epic proportions!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home