Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, September 24, 2012

Oregon Flock and Fiber Fest

 LG and I went to the OFFF on Sunday afternoon. There were classes and demos and organic groups set up under canopies all across the front lawn.  The  display buildings were full, and there were rows and rows of vendors booths!
 Bobbin lace just blows my mind!  Imagine doing this to make a living.  They had cushions set up for people to give it a try, but I just wasn't about to    consider yet another craft.  I'll stand back and applaud on this one,thanks.
In the main building was display after display filled with color like this. My eyes were so happy to soak it in!

 Lots of people were using their hand-painted yarns to do wool hooking; making rugs, chair pads, tote bags and awesome (but heavy) vests.  Can I possibly pass up the opportunity to mention the many happy hookers we saw?
 We had a lovely stroll through the animal barns.  Here are some angora goats showing off their beautiful locks.











And here is one of those goats getting a haircut - by hand, without electric clippers.  Holy crow it's a laborious task!

There were many interesting breeds of sheep and goats.  The Shetlands remain my favorites, but the Pygora goats have a lot of appeal, too.

 Did you ever want to burrow your face into a fluffy cashmere coat?


There was lots and lots of roving in all it's many presentations - bumps, sliver, batts, pigtails, locks. It was painted, natural, vegetable dyed, acid dyed,   space-dyed, you name it.  But I still have roving from the last OFFF that hasn't been spun up yet, so I focussed on yarn. There's always room for more yarn.
My very moderate purchases.  Two skeins of Teresa Ruch's  painted bamboo, a ball of MoochiMoochi in bright baby colors, Blue Moon Mopsy in blue, Iron Mountain yarn hand-spun and dyed in yellow and pink spots, and a skein of shiny silky, aqueous blue mohair that was softer than I could believe.  That one sort of slipped into my hands and the money just wafted out of the wallet.  It was my first purchase of the day. Then, it's like peanuts. You can't stop with just one.  I ran out of energy before I could run out of space in my basket, so for the first year in many, I could go home without guilt.

7 Comments:

  • At 9:54 AM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    I love all those bright colors. The skein on the right that you purchased, BEAUTIFUL.

     
  • At 10:02 AM , Blogger LA said...

    Fiber Heaven!!!! What a lovely event!

     
  • At 3:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It sounds like a delightful way to spend a day. The tie-dyed looking skein on the left in the last picture is drool-worthy.

     
  • At 4:50 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Bobbin Lace boggles the mind, doesn't it? All those little bits. When I was younger, I was much more conservative with color. Now that I am older, I am drawn to it. Maybe I just don't care what other people think as much and aim more for what I like.
    Whichever, I love the colors you chose. They are bright and cheery and just gorgeous.

     
  • At 5:08 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    How did you manage to get away from there? Your inner three year old must have been throwing a tantrum at the thought of going home.

     
  • At 10:02 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I look forward to seeing what you create with it all!!!

     
  • At 10:45 AM , Blogger Galad said...

    My inner child says, "oooo beautiful colors". I would be hard pressed not to fill a basket.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home