Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, September 14, 2012

Twice in a row!

Getting to watch Firefly motivated me to walk again today.  One hour at 3.5 mph. Yay me!

For those who don't know, "Firefly" is a sci-fi TV show, no longer on the air, but available as a package from I-Tunes and lots of other providers no doubt.  It has a sort of wild-west grittiness as the captain and crew of the firefly flit  from planet to planet, smuggling, thieving and trying to find legitimate jobs to keep the ship up and flying.  They are rogues and rascals, but not bad people, and the interactions of the crew and passengers are fascinating.   It's a 9 person cast, and I'm totally hooked.

In fact, I'm looking forward to walking again tomorrow.

It's half past September, and summer lingers on.  There are forest fires in the area, so the air has a smokey, golden tinge. The neighborhood is full of low-hanging fruit and it's not actually stealing if the pear just drops into your hand, is it?  Sun-warmed plums, soft and succulent, are begging to be liberated.  The hazlenut trees are decked with squirrels, and crows are molting flight feathers all over the place.  After the wettest, coldest June on record, we have gone 52 days without measurable precipitation.  Boy, are we gonna get it this winter!

My 12 year-old Ford Taurus is starting to make unhappy noises.  Noises that whisper to me of serpentine belts and other expensive parts that take hours to replace.  DH is thinking I ought to get a new car, rather than pour more money into the old one.  I'm thinking - maybe a Prius.  What do you think?

8 Comments:

  • At 8:07 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    Nothing tastes better than "stolen" fruit. I love the abandoned fruit trees in my neighborhood. Almost nobody will eat an apple that isn't sprayed monthly. But that's my choicest fruit.
    My friend Bruce rented a Prius and loved it. And he drives a large pickup. But I've never been in one.

     
  • At 8:38 PM , Blogger LA said...

    I didn't watch FireFly when it was on SyFy...now I wish I had. Maybe I can catch up later! Fresh picked fruit is always the best!!!

     
  • At 10:00 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Definitely go for the new car. Pick a couple you are interested in and maybe rent for a couple days or a week to try out to be sure!

     
  • At 8:03 AM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    What will you do when you have watched all the episodes of Firefly? Go back to Buffy and Angel? (Congratulations on finding a successful motivational tool.)

     
  • At 8:04 AM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    What will you do when you have watched all the episodes of Firefly? Go back to Buffy and Angel? (Congratulations on finding a successful motivational tool.)

     
  • At 11:00 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

    Good for you! That's a nice, brisk pace. I should check out Firefly. Love your line, "half past September." Thank goodness the weather can't seem to read a calendar.

     
  • At 3:15 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Everyone I know that has a Prius really likes it. At least worth a test drive.

     
  • At 12:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I would like to get a Prius when we get our next car. Ot sure if it will be big enough. Hopefully there will be more hybrid car options soon.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home