Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

birds

I can tell a robin from a pigeon.  I recognize wild turkeys, pheasants, quail, Canada geese and and a few other birds you can eat if you really have to (like starlings.)  A turkey vulture is the bird hanging way high with wing feathers like separate fingers.  Blue herons look like pterodactyls when they fly. I have a light and passing familiarity with the larger  birds, but lately, I have become interested in these LBBs - the Little Brown Birds that are partying at the feeder.  Juncos and finches and chickadees and bush-tits. LG, bless her heart, is going to give me a bird-watching outing to introduce me to some more of the little feather dusters.  But in the meantime, can anyone recommend a book like, "Little Brown Birds for Dummies?"

(Brace yourselves.  This could lead to blurry shots of leaves and shadows with the proud caption, "The little brown spot in the upper left corner is either a Clemson's Warbler or an El-Ay Wrapper.")

8 Comments:

  • At 8:54 AM , Blogger LA said...

    I went to my local bookstore and found a book on Birds of East TN. It also covers birds that migrate to this area at different times of the year. It has been very helpful...I'm sure your local bookstore has a book for your area.

     
  • At 3:19 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    This link might be enough to get you started...

    http://www.birdfeeding.org/images/stories/PDF/nbfs%20-%20bird%20identification%20sheet%20western%20version.pdf

     
  • At 7:02 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    Autumn used to call them all "fluffy puffies" when she was little. It was the darndest thing too, she was only two and she could walk up to the house finches at our backyard feeder and just pick them up... they weren't even dead. She can't do it any more.

     
  • At 7:04 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    My dad always had bird feeders and I loved watching those little brown birds. Bring on the pictures!

     
  • At 8:01 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    I used to like to use

    Peterson Field Guide to Birds of Western North America
    I've misplaced it and will be replacing it soon.

     
  • At 5:14 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    We get quite a few finches at the bird feeder. Once in a great while a blue jay would show up. But I haven't seen him in a year or two.

     
  • At 12:17 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    http://nwbackyardbirder.blogspot.com/2009/03/backyard-birds-of-portland-oregon.html

     
  • At 11:31 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I went to Florida recently with people who KNEW the birds we'd be seeing. I was so impressed-- I want to be one of those people!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home