Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, December 30, 2011

vehicular futz

I was out and abouting today, and ran through a big puddle.(It's been raining a lot lately.  There are puddles in the street you could raise trout in.) I smiled broadly at the big splash, then blinked in surprise at the puff of smoke or steam or whatever from under the car.  The battery light came on, the power steering went out, and the heater ceased to heat.  "Oh Crap," I thought.  "I flooded something.  Maybe if I just keep driving, it'll dry out."  Didn't happen.  I wrestled that non-power steering around corners and in and out of a parking lot and on the way home I gave up and pulled into the neighborhood mechanic.  When I described the symptoms, he said, "You dropped your serpentine.  That usually only happens on Chevy vans.  We can get to it this afternoon."  "You could keep it till next year if you need to." I said.  He blinked, then laughed, and now the car is back and running just fine and we are only $160 lighter.  So if ever the power steering goes out, the heater blows cold, and the battery light comes on, it's probably your serpentine belt.  We need to tell one another about these things.

No plans for New Year.  Usually we go to bed like normal, then when the neighbors start firing their guns, we roll over, kiss one another and wish one another a happy new year.  Do you have festive plans?

7 Comments:

  • At 7:55 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    I will be spending the night with aunt of sophanne, hoping that the mr. and Lil Lj won't miss me too much. It's what we do for those we love.

     
  • At 11:08 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    We're staying home and I'll read until falling asleep. Hopefully the neighbors won't be too noisy.

     
  • At 4:05 AM , Blogger Tina J said...

    Thanks for the info! When you turn a corner and you hear pop,pop,pop, near your wheels, you need a new CV boot. I learned that years ago and have never forgotten it. I heard a car do that just this last week and thought, CV boot! Lol!

     
  • At 6:33 AM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    I'm surprised your car kept running long enough to get to the mechanic. I will be going to a party with friends. The same crowd, give or take a few, for the last 40 years.

     
  • At 12:32 PM , Blogger mplanck said...

    While your snaky serpentine belt was being fixed, I was getting a new radiator. Let's hope for better luck next year. :-)

     
  • At 5:15 PM , Anonymous LindaG said...

    May all our belts be appropriately snugged up, while we are snuggling, blissfully unaware of noisy neighbors. A Joyous New Year to you!!!

     
  • At 10:16 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    When the steering wheel dies slowly, over months, it's because the suspension is filling with all your steering fluid.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home